Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 79 Z28. Problem: the blower motor circuit fuse is blowing. It pops after about 30 seconds of running. The motor spun when the key is turned on even with heater switch in the off position. It only spun at one speed and shut off when high was turned on.

I have bought a new blower motor(not because I thought it was bad but it was the wrong motor), A new relay, and I found a resistor block and connector from a 77 nova. The connector was melted on pin 101 on the resistor connector when we got the car. What do you guys suggest I do? Im having a brain spasm and I can test everything but cant think right now.

If anyone can help the diagram is below.
wiring diagram

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey rob if the connector was melted at any point then that is where your meeting the most resistance. Either a bad wire connection or resistor is bad.
From looking at the print I'd say the blower switch is suspect to being bad. Best thing to do is make a copy of the print. then with your Voltmeter start wringing out the wiring,writing down the voltages at each connector to determine where you're losing voltage

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
If I remember correctly,in that era the fan always running is a safety feature combined with the flow thru ventilation.There may be a power feed, wire connecter under the hood located approximately above cyl # 8 in the harness they used to melt all the time.Under the dash check the brown wire going to the switch assembly another melting spot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I already started testing the circuit. the power feed for the motor is good from the relay to the motor, The two tan wires going to the thermal switch are good, The thermal switch is ok.

My uncle looked at the connector, and thought that it was melted from an outside heat source like a header or something. I never knew about that always blowing item. Learn something new everyday. I learn many things everyday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts