21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Apologies. Just trying to learn.

Thanks.
:cool: I am Sorry. The stripes depicted on the '69 in the photo were hand taped in what is not even a close approximation of the factory vinyl tape straps applied at the factories. The car is for sale on eBay and to any prospective buyer, those painted on stripes should be a deal beaker because they are so very bad. Unprofessional. Imagine being the owner / seller and spending several thousand dollars to have your restored collector car pained and then finding it sporting those stripes. Especially when the body shop owner says "Too Bad, so sad, sue me."

·
Premium Member
16,597 Posts
Lay out a 1969 D96 Stripe and get back to me.

I have seen exactly one 1969 Chevelle SS396 with decent painted on side stripes, and they used a stencil kit.
I wouldn't bet against our " AACA" man.

ALSO, I watched a pro paint guy take like 2-3 HOURS to lay the D96 stripe decals down on my 67.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
:cool: I am Sorry. The stripes depicted on the '69 in the photo were hand taped in what is not even a close approximation of the factory vinyl tape straps applied at the factories. The car is for sale on eBay and to any prospective buyer, those painted on stripes should be a deal beaker because they are so very bad. Unprofessional. Imagine being the owner / seller and spending several thousand dollars to have your restored collector car pained and then finding it sporting those stripes. Especially when the body shop owner says "Too Bad, so sad, sue me."
I get it and thanks for the additional explanation. I could pick out details like that on a 65 Biscayne and most but not all things (such as those stripes) on a Chevelle. They look okay to the untrained eye (me) but I get the same twitch seeing what I know are incorrect details trying to be passed off as "factory". That's a very nice car btw.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well I just seen the car and the bids went up over $37K, so I guess people must like it as it sits, so you cant be the Chevelle god and say whats right and wrong with someone elses car!.. Maybe the guy wanted them that way? I dont know, and neither do you. Unless you know the owner

·
Registered
15,647 Posts
Worst part is that the car needs nearly a total repaint to fix it.
Unless it has a vinyl top, there's no good place to cut a tape line, so you'd be spraying clear up over the roof and down to the body line on both sides.

Well I just seen the car and the bids went up over $37K, so I guess people must like it as it sits, so you cant be the Chevelle god and say whats right and wrong with someone elses car!.. Maybe the guy wanted them that way? I dont know, and neither do you. Unless you know the owner
How much more would it have brought without the terrible stripes? $45K?

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
The high bidder shows up, picks it apart and gets it for $10,000 less.
If the seller agrees of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had an issue when the painter recently did the lower SS pin stripping and (below chrome molding) black out on my 68 - he simply combined the wide lower stripe with the lower black out. I was sick when I saw the pics (the car is 2,000 miles from me right now. I was stunned that he couldn't follow instructions and detailed pics I'd provided. Fortunately, he was able to correct it and the overall paint job was very good so it all turned out okay. But if I had to do it again I now know to ask for pictures of the masking job before the stripes are painted.

This is the incorrect version...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts