You just went to the wrong painter. :)

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,260 Posts
Looks like the stripes are to wide.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,468 Posts
I've been trying to think of vinyl stripes for my 68 Malibu but don't want 68 SS or 70-72 stripes, any ideas?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,665 Posts
Those are fubar. Too wide, too high, and not tapered anywhere near correctly. There are some vinyl kits that don't exactly match the '69 SS factory stripes either, in shape or width but a lot closer than those painted on stripes pictured.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You just love giving bad advice don’t you...
I’ve laid out several 70-72 stripes by hand and all have been perfect. Find a better painter that knows what they are doing.
:cool: Ya, it's too bad he didn't come to you for your expertise. Oh, wait we're NOT talking about '70 to '72 stripes, are we. Lay out a 1969 D96 Stripe and get back to me.

I have seen exactly one 1969 Chevelle SS396 with decent painted on side stripes, and they used a stencil kit.

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.55 posi
75 Posts
I had a terrible body shop experience in the late 90's. I took my 69' Camaro to a shady one-stop restoration shop near where I worked. They always had a nice Chevelle or two parked out front. I liked the idea that I could stop by there after work and check on things. I agreed to have the owner paint my car. This clown was a fast talking, severe ADHD, Charles Manson look-a-like who thought he knew everything about Chevys. I could tell I had to write out my instructions clearly, so I handed him copies of the factory layout for Z-28 stripes.

When I picked up my car, it had Dodge Neon stripes. I was so mad! I also had that "why does this only happen to me?" feeling. His reply to my disgust: "Nobody will ever know the difference."

He left on vacation and my car stayed in the shop. He said when he returned, he would fix the stripes. When he finally called me again, yes the stripes were correct, but underneath the new paint, you could see where he failed to sand out all the lines from the old Neon stripes. It was another kick in the crotch. I complained again and he threw up his hands.
After seeing my lawyer I was told it was not worth the time/money. The embarrassing stripes was one of the reasons I sold my car. Eventually his rip-off business practices caught up with him and he served time. Good thing too because I heard there were several people, including gang members who wanted him dead, for screwing up their cars or ripping them off.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sharp!!< That's a shame on such a nice paint job. It seems when it comes to stripes you are best to sign off on the tape job, or make sure you have full confidence in who's laying it out.

ak

·
Registered
391 Posts
Obviously it is not the factory correct stripe for the car, but I DO think it looks OK, at least the part we can see.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There are guys that should have a paint restraining order against them. Those are horrible.

Reactions: von

·
Premium Member
8,707 Posts
Those look no where near a real 69's side stripe's shape.Too wide too long and no taper at all.

Reactions: von

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Obviously it is not the factory correct stripe for the car, but I DO think it looks OK, at least the part we can see.
:cool: If you want to see more picture of the abomination side stripes, the car is for sale on eBay (I will not imply that the reason she's for sale is the horibad stripes).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts