Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3-4 years ago I converted from an original style alternator with external regulator to an 61 Amp internal regulator SI alternator with a One Wire Conversion. It seemed to work well for about a year, maybe 3000-5000 miles and then one day I went for a long drive. After driving for a couple hours I noticed an odor, sort of like sulfur, but could not figure out what it was from. I was almost home when I stopped to get a soda. When I tried to restart the car it would not turn over and when I checked the battery it was obvious that is where the odor came from. Foutunately one of my friends stopped and I was able borrow a battery to get home. My good 1000 CCA battery was ruined by the alternator overcharging it and "boiling" out the acid. I had the alternator repaired and used it again with a One Wire Conversion and a new battery.

It seemed to be working ok till this past weekend when I took another long drive. After I was a long way from home I started noticing the odor again. I made it home but when I checked the battery it was very low on acid. I added distilled water and I think the battery may survive. Seems OK so far. I checked the voltage and it is putting out about 18 volts at idle. Hopefully I have not burnt anything up. I have a very expensive ignition system and fortunately it and everything else seems to be OK.

I am installing a 105 Amp CS Alternator and will use original type wiring. Based upon my experience I don't plan to try running a One Wire Alternator again. Has anyone had, or heard of, similar problems with One Wire Alternators? What is causing the problem? Is it related to the long trips?

Thanks, Joel

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Never used an SI one wire, had 2 Powermaster one wire alts quit charging after a couple of weeks. Made the CS conversion and have had no problems!

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

·
Registered
361 Posts
Joel,
I'm feeling your pain

And can relate to the "stench" and "cooked"
batteries :eek;
I've got the same problems !!!!

------------------
RicksRag
Stephen City, Va
TC # 560
ACES # 3702

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've had two stock Delco alternators (63 Amp) with the jumper to the field on the outside of the case instead of the inside and have never had trouble with them. The only reason I replaced the first one was because it was ugly.

Now I've switched to a Powermaster 100 amp one wire (jumped internally). I switched because of the high current draw of my new fan. I hope I don't have troubles like yours. I'll keep my 63 Amp Delco unit on board just in case....

All my trips are long and frequent, and have been since I got this car in '96.

------------------
My Elky Page Updated 7-21-00
"Think for yourself. Don't let popular opinion make your decisions for you."
Chad Landry
TC Member #643
'68 El Camino

1 - 4 of 4 Posts