Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always asking/discussing four speeds it seems out of character seeking advice on a rear end. Yesterday I picked up a 12 bolt for a price I absolutely couldn't pass up. From what I got off the axle tube it was originally a 2.73 posi. The code was CKD. Maybe I looked it up wrong. Right now it's a 3.31 posi. The only thing is someone assembled it without the clutch packs.

What brand clutch packs would you guys reccomend getting for it? For the time being I am just looking to make it a posi again, then running it in the '71. Then one of these days I will buy the stuff to upgrade it with better axles/spider gears, and make it a 4.56.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hate to say it, but I really like the 3.31's. They work real well in the '70. If I get tired of having a low rear end ,and an engine like the LS7, I am going to use the 3.31's and tone it down some.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If it's an Eaton Posi then the clutches are available. I recommend that you get the shim set with the clutches so that you can set the preload. Without the shims the clutches will be very loose and the gears will likely break because of it. The original 18 disc steel clutches are what I recommend. Should be a EDB30140 3 series Eaton with the 3.31 gears.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Freddie. It is an Eaton.

Pete, I can't answer that one. But it is a posi carrier.

Joe, apparently you can, but I think it would fail in short order. There is way too much slop in the way the spider gears mesh.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just pulled the carrier out, and am about ready to wash everything up. The carrier is the EDB30140. I was told there are supposed to be thrust washers for the small spider gears, there weren't any in the carrier. Is it crucial to keep the carrier shims on the same side when it goes back together?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Freddie. For now I'm just going to make it a posi once again, and re-install. But as I mentioned going through the 350 is taking priority at this moment. As soon as I'm ready to buy I will let you know. Shouldn't be too long.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A friend of mine was able to come up with a set of clutch packs for me to use, along with the shims. Right now I have the spider gears the axles slide in in place, and one small spider gear in place. For the life of me I can't hardly get the gears to turn to get the other one in place. I started the pin through the one spider gear so it wouldn't fall. I've got two shims on each side. Is everything just too tight, or do the dry clutches have a hard time spinning? I took a picture of the carrier the way it is sitting now if that will help.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm uploading a picture I took of the carrier. That's as far as I could get it. I started the pin in through the first spider gear just to hold it ,and the thrust washer, in place. The way I assembled the clutch pack was starting with a tanged one. Then I put a splined one on. I followed that pattern and ended with a tanged clutch. That was about the only way I could see that it would go together. There are nine clutches on each side. I used a little bit of grease to hold the doo dads that go over the tangs of the clutches. Then I put the shims on the outside. Is that the correct sequence?

I could roll the first spider gear in, but it was pretty tight. I was told it should be. With the pin in place it won't spin at all. I even tried sticking an axle in and rotating it. Would not budge. That was with using the thinnest of the shims I had. I think they are .010". I got to where I had just one on each side. Just to try it I put the clutches in without any shims. The gears wouldn't rotate at all. By this time I decided to try rooting around in the repair manual. It said to coat everything in lube before assembly. I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying a dab of oil on the clutches. All that did was make a big mess. Didn't get me any closer to having it assembled. It seems like the thrust washers are too thick. There is no free movement of the gears.

After a couple hours of unsuccessfully trying to get this carrier assembled I decided to call it a day. At this point any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
You are going about this wrong. With the shaft in one gear you will never get the other gear in place. ONe axle gear is going to turn one way and the other axle gear will turn the other way and the pinion gear will just stay in the position it is in. You MUST put the pinion gears in together, and they MUST be exactly opposite of each other. There is NO other way to do it. Put one gear in through the small hole in the back of the case and then lign up the other gear exactly opposite of it in the big hole. Then rotate the axle gear until both gears line up with the hole for the shaft.Then slip the thrust washers in behind the pinion gears before putting the shaft in. Then check the clutch preload and disassemlbe everything and change the shims. Then put it back together and check the preload again. Do this until you have the preload set correctly.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I finally have it together. After getting it together the right way I realized I was making it much more difficult than it really was. I believe I could do it fairly easy now that I have half a clue.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I set it up fairly tight. Not tight enough to where I had to force it together, but tight enough to where there is just an ever so slight slack in the gears. There isn't much give.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help, Freddie. I got it together tonight, put the shims/bearing races in the same side. She spins both axles the same direction. I'm not going to be able to get the c clips in until the rear end is in the car because I'm leaving the brake hardware in place, but I stuck them in to see how it spun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts