Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a 77 full size chevy posie rear end. Question is, will this fit in a 66 chevelle housing? Both are 12 bolts of course. What other year chevelle or A body cars will the 77 fit into without any mods other than a proper set up. Thanks in advance Bill

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the carriers are the same. Be aware of the spline count, but otherwise I think you've got a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I believe the passenger 12bolt rear was not made after 1972, replaced by the 8.5 10 bolt..not sure what the 77 has in it but I would assume a 10 bolt.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am sure the carriers do not swap. The truck 12 bolt (made through late 70's for sure) isn't the same as the pass. car 12 bolt.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well,
Since you'all are on the subject I was going to install a P/T unit in my 12 bolt from year one a friend of mine told me if I use my ring and pinion I should'nt have to worry about reseting the gears just check them they would be same, any sugesstions or comments,has anyone been there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
69SSRat- in an ideal world, you wouldn't have to change anything, but unfortunately, the chances of a different carrier going in and using the same shims to get proper backlash and mesh pattern are slim to none, especially if it's an aftermarket posi unit.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

[This message has been edited by SSteve L (edited 12-17-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.