Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the wrong place to post this on a Chevelle site but I currently have 3 '69 Chevelles and a '70 Chevelle. Once Dave Birdwell finishes my '70 I'll be short a garage space unless I buy a storage lift. Not a huge deal.

I've always wanted a Hemi car, especially a Challenger or Charger. Checking BJ Palm Beach and Mecums Indy auction, Hemi cars seem to be really down. Here's a few examples.

'68 Coronet. $50K
'70 Challenger $110K
'68 Charger $81K
'70 Cuda $135K

All of these cars were beautiful restorations.

I do love my Chevelles but it would be nice firing up a Hemi car once in a while.

Am I crazy? I'm currently looking at a '69 Charger and a '69 GTX, both asking $110K.

Bring on your opinions.

· Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Seems to me 3 69 Chevelles is a bit much. it's nice to diversify the collection.
Keep the 69 that appeals to you the most, the 70 and get the Mopar you want.

· Registered
926 Posts
Sounds alright to me too. With 4 Chevelles chances are that at least 3 are going to get neglected.
I say keep your favorite 69 and the 70, and get you a Hemi Mopar. I'm not crazy about the B-bodies, but they are definitely the more affordable ones though.
If I were going to do it I'd have to go "all-in" and get an E-body, Cuda or Challenger $$$.

And its DEFINITELY gotta be a 4-speed car too. I think there should have been a law or something banning automatics from being coupled to all Detroit big-blocks!

If you can swing it then I'd say do it.
BUT be aware that Mopar prices are really unstable right now and you need to really do your homework to make sure you are making the right deal before committing.

With a potentially 6-figure purchase on something with a very dynamic market like muscle cars are right now (specifically Mopars) I'd certainly advise consulting some experts in the industry.
Peter Klut of Legendary Muscle Cars (in Canada) comes to mind. He's the only name I know off the top of my head, but there are plenty of others to consider as well.

Even though it's no Chevelle, be sure you post up some pics if you wind up with one!

· Registered
1,407 Posts
I know what you mean about being unstable. All of the E Body Hemi cars are in the $185K-$250K range but they seem to be selling for $110K-$135K unless its something unique.
They will come back around. They ain't getting any newer. I don't buy or build cars for the investment value but that said, if you plan to keep it for 10 years or more, you will do fine on it. Buy low sell high.

Usually things that were once at a certain price and now lower, return to that price eventually if your timeline is long (decade). The precedent is set. Get that Mopar, hang on to it, and have fun. Bo.

· Premium Member
1,770 Posts
...a guy on my block has a bone stock 70 440 6pak Road Runner. I always liked Mopar body styles.... not so much their interiors (pistol grip's cool). His is scary fast for a stock 440. I wouldn't mind having one in the driveway. The RR and the ol' heap look good together. If you have the resources go for it...

· Registered
3,954 Posts
And its DEFINITELY gotta be a 4-speed car too. I think there should have been a law or something banning automatics from being coupled to all Detroit big-blocks!
Why?...It's not everyone who's interested in struggling with a shifter and a clutch...some of us prefer just putting in ''drive'' and step on it! :D
I did have a brand new Dodge Charger R/T back in '69. The car looked great (still does today) but the body assembly quality was no way near a GM car. It had no front inner fender which made the car rust prone and also numerous water leaks that even the dealer was never able to fix.

Claude.

· Premium Member
12,592 Posts
I agree with those that say 4 Chevelles (while admireable) is a slight overload. If it were me I would diversify. Also I happen to be very fond of the Mopar muscle car Collection although i tend to agree with the poor build quality statement. Of those mentioned the Charger is the one that I would go after with the 68 being the best of the 68-70 years. Now if you could find a 69 Charger 500 that is one very cool car as it has some very unique features that were race related. Personally not sure if I would be fixed on a hemi. The 440 is nothing to shake a stick at.

· Registered
332 Posts
I vote for keeping one chevelle and then buy a hemi car. I agree that a 68-69 charger or an e body is where it's at.

· Premium Member
14,078 Posts
I haven't looked it up yet, but my friend (owns a real '69 Charger R/T, 4-speed with a Hemi) emailed me yesterday, mentioning a 1970 Hemi Charger 4-speed, with Non-original motor but LOTS of documentaton, sold for $200k!...

Better get something before everyone else raises their price. :D

· Registered
857 Posts
Awesome body styles ... Horrible original build quality.

In the MOPAR world ... Is remedying all the build issues, considered restoration or resto-mod? If resto-mod, I wouldn't want anything less, though the coke-bottle Charger with hide-a-ways will always be one of my favorites!

Thanks, Neal

· Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I has looking at 3 cars. My first choice is in Canada and trading my 2 Chevelles and a little cash I found out is a very complicated deal to get done. Sounds like more trouble then its worth.
My next choice is a '69 Hemi Charger but the dealer isn't interested in any sort of trades.
My 3rd choice is a '69 Hemi GTX and the dealer is willing to trade for both Chevelles.

Now to make a decision. I sorta feel like I'm settling because the first 2 cars there wouldn't be any hesitation. While the GTX is rotisserie restored and a beautiful car, I'm having a hard time parting with my Chevelles for it.

Ah decisions, decisions.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.