Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 70 SS and have a set of what I think are Hooker headers on my BB. Is there a positive way of knowing if these are Hooker's? That would make it an even, no cut change out. I have an exhaust cut / leak on #2 flange and they have rusted and look less than what they should. I must have put 10 coats of high temp black paint and it just burned off to bare metal. If I change headers, what is better, aluminized or powder coat. I do not like chromed headers. Thanks.
Roland in NY.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Hooker headers used to, and may still have, a small tag spot welded to one the header tubes near the flange. If you don't see one, look for a part number stamped into the flange, most header manufacturers do that so the header can be identified if they are not in their original box. If this is your means of identification you need to match that part number with a manufacturer on your own.

As for a "no cut" header, that won't happen. Even if you get the same brand header with the same part number there is almost no chance the headers will line up exactly as you existing exhaust.

When it comes to coatings, you can order headers coated or get them done locally. If you buy coated headers your options will be limited, but it will be cheaper than having them done locally.

Steve R

1 - 2 of 2 Posts