Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 468 cuber in a 1975 Camaro with (currently) 4:56 gears (to low, I know), with about 9 to 1 compression--flat tops with ported #390 GM heads, and a turbo 350 or 400 behind the belhousing. Currently running an old dual plane Weiand with a great 750 Qjet, worked over. Current cam: Engle single pattern grind, 540 lift, 238 duration, sounds mean, pulls hard, just enough vacuum to git the braking job done.

Question #1. Would I make more power with a Voodoo 268 or 276? Which would I like better? (the 276 would make a nice match for an Eddy RPM intake, I think)

Question #2. Keep the old Wieand, or upgrade to an Eddy Qjet RPM? The old Wieand seems to work well, however, technology does move on.

Cheapest route: just keep what I have.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
keep what you have. with those gears, you could have a stock iron intake on it with a stock cam and it would be a blast around town.
use the $$$ you won't spend on the "trick of the week" parts to buy some fuzzy dice and a few tanks of gas..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
keep what you have. with those gears, you could have a stock iron intake on it with a stock cam and it would be a blast around town.
use the $$$ you won't spend on the "trick of the week" parts to buy some fuzzy dice and a few tanks of gas..
MMMM, I love fuzzy dice!

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
IMO, you probably would pick up some power going to a Harold cam and an RPM intake.

Now, I'm an old Q-jet guy from way back (way, way, back, I"m older than dirt) but I think you getting toward the edge of the Q-jet range. If you want to keep the Q, get a performer RPM Q-jet. It's not available as an air-gap, but block off the heat riser passage and it's good.

Mine's on a 406, come to think of it, I'm not absolutely certain there is a BB version. You don't want to run a Q on an adapter on a square bore manifold, especially on a setup that will really work the carb hard.

On that Q, double check that the secondary throttle plates open to vertical and the same with the sec air valve. Most Qs run a little short on that. It's one of the adjustments that is addressed on a quality build.

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
If you feel like tearing into the motor, I would go with more cam. 4.56 gears belong behind a 6500+ rpm motor. In your 454, you need another 10-15* intake duration and at least 10* more exhaust on the spread to get there. Real quick ramps, and well advanced. An open plenum intake will help with the smaller carb. This is one of those applications where if you could fit it for ht, a smaller runner single plane (you would have to use an adapter for the Qjet) would help. This is how the Qjet equipped Super Stock cars were ran (in simple terms - stock displacment, stock compression, stock valve sizes, any cam, any intake but stock carb only).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.