Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, this is more for peace of mind. I had a sun supertach in my car for ages, it broke, got a Autometer through a friend, didnt come with instructions. I wired it up the same way I had my Sun hooked up. Thing that bugs me is every single autometer I ever see when the car is off the pointer is at 1,000 or so. Mine goes to 0. Just dont wanna slowly kill a 200 dollar tach.
It of course has the red wire, black wire, white wire and the green wire.
I have the black wire to a solid ground.
I have the green wire to the distributer.
(I know those two are good)
I have the white wire running to the "lamps" spade on my fusebox.
The red wire is running to ignition fused on the fusebox.
Is that wrong?
Tell me how you have yours wired up, and if the pointer is at 0 or 1,000 on your autometer.
thanks in advance!

------------------
Russ (or Steve)
1965 Malibu 283/PG/A/C
Now 350/TH350 with some goodies
My Homepage (Updated 5/31/2001)
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Russ,

My Autometer properly goes to 0 when the car is off. Your description of how yours is wired sounds right; I'm at work so can't go check mine. I've had mine for about 10 years now so I think if it was going to fail it already would have.

------------------
[email protected]
69 El Camino Non-SS 396 - 500,000 miles - reverting to project status.
65 Malibu SS Convertible - very rough, for sale.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
The green wire goes to the (-) side of the coil. I have 2 autometer tachs and both rest above 0 when the switch is off and go to 0 when the switch is first turned on. The autometer website also has a wealth of information and tips for their gauges.

------------------
Mark
TC#1600
69 Chevelle SS
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/gotagos69.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replys.
I'll check the links when I get home from school today.
Mark, It is basically to the - side. I forgot to mention its an HEI, so it has the lil tach terminal on the cap.

------------------
Russ (or Steve)
1965 Malibu 283/PG/A/C
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Steve

My autometer w/memory goes to 1000 when shut off but goes to zero with the ign on and runs just fine. Yes you are wired correctly, maybe it's just the new way and mine is brand new 5".

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I guess I wont worry about it then. Its a brand new Phantom Moster tach. A friend of a friend bought it for his dodge neon, wouldnt work on the neon so my friend bought it off him and gave it to me for my birthday a couple months ago. I've just been really suprised that with the car off the tach pointing to zero and not 1000 and started to think that maybe I was wired wrong. I wonder though. Seems all you guys have it resting at 1000 or so with the car off and when you hit the ign on it goes to 0. That how I'd expect it to go. I wonder whats diff with mine thats causing it to be zero ign on or car off and still read fine and everything with the motor running. Oh well, I guess I wont complain about it.

------------------
Russ (or Steve)
1965 Malibu 283/PG/A/C
Team Chevelle Member #71

1 - 7 of 7 Posts