Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well Ive spun a rod before in this same engine, did a budget fix and replace the crank and rod, fresh bearings all around, cleaned the best I could, been running really good for about a year.

It knocks, but cant hear it at idle, once you bring the rpm up alittle, it knocks pretty loud.

It sounds like its coming from the passenger side rear area, at fist I thought i broke a rocker, cause thats happened before and somthin was hitting the valve cover, but all thats fine, then I thought it was the converter, everything looks ok their, checked the distributer, thats fine. Unplugged each plug, its still their.

But somthings fishy, last time i spun a rod bearing, oil pressure went down, this time its up :confused: I use to have 10-15 hot at idle and 40 at 2000, now I have 35 at idle and 40 at 1000 and on up...:confused: Did a bearing break apart and clog a passage??

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
that or loose converter bolts seen a converter that looked and felt tight but had ovaled out the flywheel holes and sounded like a rod knock. but have no explination about the oil preassure thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the converter bolts and felt with hand, but maybe their are loose and just fell tight cause its cokced in their or somthin. Ill check.

I thought maybe the oil thing was the guage needle sticking but it seems to move pretty freely. Its weird because it was running as usual, I shut it off and looked in the covers, started it so my dad could listen and noticed the pressure was up

·
Registered
283 Posts
i had the 2 of the timing gear-camshaft bolts back out on me and they were hitting the timing cover and made a hell of a racket. doesn't explain the oil pressure though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, a cracked flex plate sounds almost exactly like a rod. If your oil pressure is good, or rather has not changed, I look to the flexplate first.

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
I had a oil pressure problem, I ran the truck low on oil, only thing I had in the truck was a qt. of tranny fluid. I dumped it in. stopped at the store and topped it off with oil. Of course I got busy and never got around to changing the oil. Wife took the truck (burb) out of town came back and the oil pressure would go up at idle and down at higher revs. Turned out the tranny fluid cleaned the motor so well, all the sludge filled the filter and clogged it. Two oil changes later all was well.
Maybe your bypass is stuck or something. jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.