Team Chevelle banner

Thermostat stuck?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wayner66 
#1 ·
I went for a ride in my Chevelle, watching my gauges as it was warming up just glanced at the water temp, it was rising to 200, 210, 220, 230, OH MY God, then all of a sudden the gauge flew down to 180 as usual. It almost sounds like the thermostat was stuck then flew open. Whats your thoughts?

Dave

#5 ·
I used to have that happen with the old motor.

The motor never acted hot when it happened and the temp always dropped very quickly back to normal.

That was with a hi flo Mr G thermostat mounted in the head (interesting that PCB mentioned that location too) and a mechanical gauge.

Since rebuilding the motor and moving the sender to the intake I haven't had the problem re-occur.

#7 ·
I lived in Saudi Arabia and drove a '79 Mazda 4-banger beater. I'd watch the aftermarket temp gauge go up,up,up until it just dropped rapidly to around 180ish after a few minutes on the freeway. Did it all the time-- winter and summer and in between. No air in the system; checked that. I just chalked it up to characteristic of the thermostat.

My $0.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.