Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to share with you guys...had a 454 rebuilt but, as most of you can relate, more time than money (and friends too busy to help)kept everything from happening as quickly as I would've liked. But yesterday, July 18 (Mark your calendars) the beast came alive for the first time!

Only two problems were encountered. First I had to deal with a starter that wouldn't stop running. (Had earlier post on that) Turned out the "new" starter I had in had a broken wire in the solenoid and ran whenever it had power. New starter fixed that problem.

Then came the moment of truth. We pushed it out of the garage. (Figured if there was fire, it wouldn't take the house too!) Three spins and she lit! Being that I did a lot of rewiring and all kinds of stuff I've never gotten into before, I was sure I'd forgotten something, didn't do something right, forgotten to tighten something...SOMETHING was going to go wrong, I was afraid! No runs, no drips, no errors! Everything worked as it should, and she sounded GOOD!

After we got it running, it became obvious that the fan clutch was no good, as the engine was turning 2500, and the fan about 400rpm. I'll get a flexfan for it and we should be good to go. Next will be the exhaust system. (Just had mufflers bolted to the headers for the startup)

Anyway, it's all, in part, thanks to you guys! Without this site and your input, I don't think I would've attempted some of the stuff I've done. Now that it will be on the road, I can begin the bodywork. Be patient with all my posts that you'll probably see in the body section!

------------------
Don - '67 Modified Malibu
"Under Construction"
Gold #43

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Huuwaaah! Doesn't it feel awesome when the beast lives and everything is OK? Man, good work - always like to hear of another BBC '67 breathing fire again!

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Your fan clutch may be OK as it is. The real test is that if the radiator is hot and the air coming through is hot the clutch should kick in. You can hear (and see) these things cycle when they are operating properly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would say to stay FARRRRR away from flexfans. Do a search for previous discussions. They wear out and then BOOOM! you've got a fan blade through your hood, or radiator, or tire. And you won't know when it's going to happen either.

I just removed a flex-fan installed by a previous owner with a 7 blade 18" GM fan and Everco Thermostatic Fan Clutch.

The 7 blade and fan clutch are highly respected here. Gene is right, if you have a thermo fan clutch it will "free wheel" until the air passing through the radiator heats it enough to make it fully engage. You'll actually get better economy with the fan clutch and quieter operation.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was definitely enough heat...it was as the guage read 230 (and going up) that I looked at the fan and saw it was not keeping up with the engine. The thermostat had opened and radiator had good flow, but that fan just wasn't turning right. I'll check earlier posts regarding the flex fans...maybe I'd be better off just buying a new fan clutch.

------------------
Don - '67 Modified Malibu
"Under Construction"
Gold #43
I've heard that the memory
is the second thing to go.
I don't remember what
the first thing is!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.