Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok heres the skinny, on my 70 velle ss, there is no vin stamped on the cal anywhere neer the heater assembly, of course we know they had problems at that plant. i just got back from the shop and pulled body off of frame and brought frame home to dissasemble and paint. when i cleaned off the frame rail i found that it has the vin stamped twice. yeah two time. (dose). couple of the numbers are a little hard to read but the last few are clearly legible. i guess when the ole' boy was swinging the hammer he was afraid he was gonna hit his hand. have you ever herd of such a thing. i sure would of liked to been a fly on the wall back at that plant when they were building cars.:D dem wer sum dum fellas. i guess they were hung over on all that 6point beer:beers: .

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you are looking at the drivers door take too big steps to the right and now you are on the right side of the back wheel look straight down on the top of the frame. they are a little to the right of center on the top of the rail. there should be numbers stamped on the side facing you. right above them.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Yep, the last LS6 I did was stamped twice, it was an Atlanta car. The funny thing was, both stamps were clear and legible. I guess maybe a new guy practicing??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Guy's thx for the info. I'm getting ready to do a frame off resto on my Arlington bult LS6 in about a mth and can't wait to pull the body off !! I've got paperwork POP but never found a buildsheet or VIN anywhere on the firewall near the heater box. I'll be checking the frame shortly !!!

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Where on the frame did you find these numbers?I have looked both of my Arlington cars over as best I could with a mirror and flashlight and can't find any. Thanks,Stephanie
I just pulled my frame out not to long ago and couldn't find anything stamped on the frame and no VIN stamp by the heater either. It's an 05D Arlington car. From what I've heard these numbers are hard to see with the body off and looking directly at them, I think with a mirror and flashlight it would be almost impossible to see them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have known where mine where for a long time, have even had the body off the frame before to paint it all up and make it look pretty. but at the time wasnt really concerned about the vin #'s, if you take a red scotchbrite pad and rub the top of the frame on that side and take a mirror i thind that you could possibly see them by using a flashlight. on mine right where the frame rolles on top is where mine are about a 1/8 inch from the edge. the frame actually looks a little caved in from the force of the blows. it would made since to put them on that side cuz it aint boxed and that would deff. bend something. my car is an 05e car a few days after 704evers probably the same ole feller. any how i must go outside and unload it off the trailor. and make a list of what i am gonna do first.gett'n close to some action happening.:D :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I have mentioned it before but I am currently helping a friend restore his Arlington LS-6. NO WHERE on the body of that car is a VIN number and I was there during the entire tear down (this car does have a build sheet). It also had two VIN stampings on the frame. BIGBLOCK70Z, I would be curious to know the build date of your car (to compare to this one) and also if there are a lot of grease pencil markings on the firewall.
Rick

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
BIGBLOCK70Z-Where was the other place that you found the vin# stamped on the frame besides the drivers side rear?

The gas tank is out of our '72 right now so believe it or not I was able to clearly see the top of the frame with a mirror and flashlight.With the tank in I couldn't see anything at all.
I also do not have any numbers on my firewall near the heater assembly on our '72.I do not know about my '71.I've never had it apart to check.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IF YOU WERE LAYING DOWN BEHIND CAR AND FEET FIRST SLID UNDER GAS TANK AND THEN GRABBED BOTH FRAME RAILS YOU WOULD HAVE YOUR FINGERS ON YOUR LEFT HAND RIGHT ON THE VIN#'S IF THEY ARE THERE. THE BEST PLACE TO SEE THEM WITH A MIRROR WOULD BE TO HAVE A RETANGULER MIRROR, LETS SAY 2" BY 3". HOLD MIRROR AND PLACE IT BETWEEN TRUNK DROP OFF AND FRAME RAIL ON THE DRIVERS SIDE, BEHIND WHEEL. USE FLASHLIGHT TO AIM AT MIRROR. BUT FIRST YOU WILL NEED TO USE SCOTCHBRIGHT TO CLEAN OFF FRAME RAIL. THEN BLOW OFF DUST. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE PENCIL LEAD AND RUB ON TOP OF FRAME THEN TAKE A THIN PIECE OF PAPER AND LAY ON IT AND HOLD IT IN PLACE AND RUB REAL HARD AND LIFT THE NUMBERS FROM IT. JUST ANOTHER IDEA. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just pulled my frame out not to long ago and couldn't find anything stamped on the frame and no VIN stamp by the heater either. It's an 05D Arlington car. From what I've heard these numbers are hard to see with the body off and looking directly at them, I think with a mirror and flashlight it would be almost impossible to see them.
My 05D Arlington car did not have a vin under the heater box either, and my frame has so much undercoating on it that I'll have to clean it off to check for a vin there.
It's a shame that we can't find more buildsheets for Arlington cars, all I have is a POP.

704EVER, my last 6 numbers in my vin are 247979.
Yours must be close to that?
I went to college in Arlington during the early 70's and drove by the plant every day...knew several people that worked there. The stories that I heard.......

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
hello guys i just got a frame the guys says is off a 71 chevelle the numbers are on side of frame drivers side the numbers are 6263667 then a S with circle around it 366 then under it is 8 12 1 cp if the last couple of numbers are 3667 would this be for a 1971 rag top chevelle please help if possible

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
hello guys i just got a frame the guys says is off a 71 chevelle the numbers are on side of frame drivers side the numbers are 6263667 then a S with circle around it 366 then under it is 8 12 1 cp if the last couple of numbers are 3667 would this be for a 1971 rag top chevelle please help if possible
Part number
circle with s is mfr vender, AO Smith
and date aug 12 1971

Oops, Nevermind. Looks like Dale already answered this in another thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Boy's !!! I want to Thank you all for the info on where to find the VIN stamp on Arlington built cars !!! I found it!! Couldn't believe it . I can't imagine trying to see it with the body on the car and I'm fortunate that the body is currently on a rotissary and the frame is easy to get at. Anyhow it's exactly as described by Dean , Springs209 and Bigblock70Z !! It's doubled stamped, once close to the edge and once more closer to the center, stamped on top of the driver's side frame above the gastank sits. Thx so much for the info guys! This is a Florida car that needs a resto and has a lot of good orig metal , but a few other places are rusted out, the usual , trunk , lower qtrs,etc. As I said earlier I have the owner history ,orig POP, and some loan agreement paperwork from 1972, but with Arlington cars, build sheets are pretty rare and with the lack of firewall vins , I find that you kinda have that nagging question in your mind hoping the car is all original. Anyhow to find the orig VIN stamped on the frame , ....well lets just say it's been a pretty damn good day !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.