Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the car I day dreamed about as a kid. I'll never be able to afford one and most people don't even know what your talking about if you bring up the race car "Cheetah". I still have my fathers 60's slot car and a little trophy he won with it at a local slot car track as a child. I think playing with the toy car and reading old articles about the 60's racing scene is what fascinated me with the cars like the Shelby Cobra, Daytona coupe, GT40, and the Cheetahs. It's what really started my interest in cars and it's cool someone is reproducing them!
http://www.nickeychicago.net/vehicle.php?id=122

What started your interests in cars and the hobby?

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Heck, no big deal for me. I can easily come up with the $9,500------------------------it's the OTHER $90,000 that I'm going to have a problem with! :D
Ya, heck yes, I remember the Cheetahs! Awsome cars------------required a REAL driver to control them too. But so what, I'd park one next to my Fords-----------------If I had any Fords! l:)

But alas, this is as close as I'll ever get to a Bill Thomas product (anyone know what you're looking at here? It IS a BT part).

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Those Cheetahs were awesome looking cars.
Nice Rochester FI there DZ.

What sparked it for me were a couple HO cars I found in my Dads drawer; one was a white mustang with blue stripes, the other a gold 67 camaro. Just stood there and kind of stared at them, it was downhill from there. :)

What I found in my Moms drawer traumatized me for life. I remember her yelling something about little @%^@ perv or something I dunno :angry:
Thats another thread.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I was 13 years old. A bad guy 4 doors up the street from me knocked up a 15 year old girl, and married her. He was 21 and all bad news according to my dad.

What did I care ? At 13, all I saw was the maui blue '68 vette with the 427 badges on the L-88 hood scoop. ( Gee, wonder why my '68 Chevelle has the same scoop 30 years later. ;) )

Anyhow, Ken Sommerville was his name, and I'm grateful to this day for the late night high speed ride he took me on in that big block corvette.

It set the hook deep, and hard. I've never yet recovered from the wind in my hair, the adrenalin in my blood ride from that blue shark 30 years ago.

I've been chasing that dragon ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I always liked old GM Muscle. But after my Divorice i decieded it was time to get something going besides the bar life. So in 1999 I found a car online and thats when it started. Been hooked ever since.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Heck, no big deal for me. I can easily come up with the $9,500------------------------it's the OTHER $90,000 that I'm going to have a problem with! :D
Ya, heck yes, I remember the Cheetahs! Awsome cars------------required a REAL driver to control them too. But so what, I'd park one next to my Fords-----------------If I had any Fords! l:)

But alas, this is as close as I'll ever get to a Bill Thomas product (anyone know what you're looking at here? It IS a BT part).

Looks like a BT big meter fFI unit to me .....didI win ?? been a while since I saw one of those, Bill

·
Banned
14,069 Posts
I don't know about a Cheetah,but there's a Cougar that lives down the street from me.;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I always liked old cars and loved going through my dad's toolbox. My parents aren't really car junkies and neither is anyone in my house. I remember getting Vanishing Point on VHS at a gas station because I liked the car on the front. Next came American Graffiti. It didn't stop there! It was followed by car models, more movies and, before I knew it, I started getting tools from Christmas at the young age of 8! Then it happened, I finally got to see my aunt and uncle's fairlanes! I got hooked on old cars that autumn day in a heated 6 car storage garage!. When I first saw a chevelle, I knew it was the car for me! I almost ended up wiith a duster but waited it out and got the car of my dreams!

·
Registered
570 Posts
My car love was born probably at birth...:D

My family was always about racing and cars. My dad raced and I went as a infant to the races. My mother said I loved the sounds of the cars. Nothing like open headers of 283s and 289s on a Saturday night!

The final straw was a 62 MGB Mark VI, I believe, my dad restored when I was like 6 or 7. I loved that car and being picked up from school in it was AWESOME!:D

Turns out that car was rare and low number, but that four banger with dual carbs would fly!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The first 1966 Chevelle SS396 that hit the streets also hit my interest in cars. Then, the 1967 Camaro came along a year later.
Need I say more?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh yes the Cheetah, from what I remember they had alot of vibration because the wheel base was so short that they didnt have a driveshaft, the trans yoke went straight to the rearend yoke.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My interest has been life long. My sister's first husband stoked the fire when I was seven years old. Their first car was a 65 Impala SS 396 with a four speed. Next came a 67 Chevelle SS 396 that they bought brand new.

I grew up in the middle of the muscle car era. And I got to enjoy owning driving cheap muscle cars in the 70s when they hit the used car market as inexpensive (and sometimes used up) used cars.

·
Super Moderator
16,314 Posts
Cars were always big in our world though Dad never really had a performance car. The neighbors sure did, but they came and went mostly when I was pretty little. I can still remember the first time we hit 100mph as Dad said, to test the new mufflers.

I got hooked on performance cars but never had enough scratch to have anything interesting as a kid but the 55-57 Chevys are what grabbed my attention and dragged me completely into the musclecar/performance car world. My first Chevelle helped me along of course, got it when I was 17. That car led me to the L79 car I've had since I was 19. Funny, when I got my first Chevelle I wasn't specifically looking for a Chevelle but I did want a Super Sport of some sort. I looked at more Impala SSs than anything but a '65 Malibu SS that was in good enough shape and in my price range showed up first so I bought it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts