Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post tools that are home made.

Thought it would be cool to see how clever people are when you gotta have something that does the job now, or you just don't have the budget for it or you just have to make it, BECAUSE YOU CAN.

What to do with your old bumper jack? make an arbour press!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
My dad invented and patented the on the car valve spring tester and the OTC style ball joint and bushing removal and install tool. My father and I have not seen a red cent from it.Matter of fact I had to buy a Moroso spring tester..you figure

·
Premium Member
865 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I know that this is an old thread, but today I made myself a window crank removal tool. I have been using a super old plastic one for a while that broke today, so I made a new one out of some scrap in the shop. :thumbsup: I know they are only $5-10 but oh well, I like mine better than buying one, and free is always good!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Couldn't help myself. Here's a little something i threw together to press in upper control arm bushings into a rear end. Probably not needed now that Harbor Freight is in most towns.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Nice, and forget Harbor Freight tools for things like this. Their metallurgy is so poor that they can rarely stand up to even routine use. I gave up after having several of their various suspension tools (spring compressors, ball joint separators, etc.) fail during the very first attempt at use. Never had a moment's trouble with American made tools designed for the same function.

I like your tool. Simple, solid, looks like it will work well!

Keith

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not really a tool, but I just got done building this portable welding table a few weeks ago...

Still have more to do to it, but I wonder how I did without it all these years.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Couldn't help myself. Here's a little something i threw together to press in upper control arm bushings into a rear end. Probably not needed now that Harbor Freight is in most towns.

I should have thought of making this when i was doing mine. Ended up buying a tool to compress it on.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here is my home made tire/wheel checking tool. Similar to "Percy's Wheelrite" tool only steel instead of plastic. Adjustable diameter, width and backspace.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
I made this 25 years ago for getting all the little balls back into a Saginaw steering gear. Simple but effective. Based it on the photo of the GM recommended tool in the service manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a guy from Sweden working on a Saginaw steering gear right now that would probably like to see this tool. He's got a thread going in the steering,suspension section.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
There's a large nut that fixes the mounting plate to the hydraulic pump of a hydro-boost unit. In order to tighten it you need a "one time" specialized tool to accomplish this. (Yeah I've got a few of those). So rather than add to my one time use tools, I decided to build this one out of some angle aluminum and oak wood. All you need is a large pair of tongue and groove adjustable pliers or a large adjustable wrench and you're good to go!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts