Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year you might remember I had some moisture problems after I ran the engine for a while. The inside of the valve covers were wet and milky. I assumed it might be either a head gasket or just those cheap valve covers, not to be. I pulled one valve cover off and was greeted by milky water in the oil and already about a 1/10th inch of milky sludge on the valve covers. So I have to assume the head(s) have a crack some where an will have to go in for some fixing. I was going to drop off my Dominator at ATS tomorrow to have it looked at anyway so I guess I will talk to them about the heads too.
Ain't racing fun? :D

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Last year you might remember I had some moisture problems after I ran the engine for a while. The inside of the valve covers were wet and milky. I assumed it might be either a head gasket or just those cheap valve covers, not to be. I pulled one valve cover off and was greeted by milky water in the oil and already about a 1/10th inch of milky sludge on the valve covers. So I have to assume the head(s) have a crack some where an will have to go in for some fixing. I was going to drop off my Dominator at ATS tomorrow to have it looked at anyway so I guess I will talk to them about the heads too.
Ain't racing fun? :D
Jim, if your heads turn out to be trashed, let me know if you are interested in a buddy of mines merlin 3s. The are aluminum 350CC, big roller springs, matched intake and such. But at this point you might be better off goign to some AFRs.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the price is right and the cc's and mine are going to cost more than they are worth, I'd be interested.

Jim, if your heads turn out to be trashed, let me know if you are interested in a buddy of mines merlin 3s. The are aluminum 350CC, big roller springs, matched intake and such. But at this point you might be better off goign to some AFRs.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
ok Jim just let me know,

Here is the info he gave me when I was interested.

Merlin 3 aluminum 350CC, titanium retainers, big roller springs.

Merlin single plane intake, I believe it is for a 4500 like you have

umm he also had the stud girdle for it and merlin valve covers. He ran them on his anglia to 9.3 I believe, switched to Darts and gained about a tenth.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Jim, I can't imagine there being a crack unless it's in a area very abnormal. I magged the crud out of them. Hope there isn't anything I missed.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Pull the valve covers and pressurize the system. Water in the engine but not in the combustion should be noticable with some pressure. I've had intake gaskets leak around where the intake meets the heads and many, many head bolts leaking.

Let me know, I have a coolant pressure tester set-up.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
This has got to be frustrating!:(

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
How many ways can water get into the oil?? Seems like the only was for it to be the heads is if it were cracked up by the water jacket where it meets the lifter valley. Could be just an intake gastket not sealed right. Hope you find it and its not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
What brand head gasket? The expensive laminated ones, right?
Bud Terry Reed had issues with those....on his 496 for his 69 Nova (this was the Walt's Radiator car for many years)
He called Dart....they said to separate the layers....spray sealant between and on both sides. Since he did this.....no issues. PM me and I'll send his number

1 - 10 of 10 Posts