Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys here it is. I am a total street racing fanatic. I know you guys don't condone and sometimes we aren't the smartest of people but I love it. Anyway, a buddy of mine has a 2001 PT Cruiser, manual tranny. And well I still have the lame 307. But I swapped it in for a 6 cyl, so I know the car performs better with the 8. So we get to a stop sign and we're off. I pull hard off the line and he stayed about half a car link from me the whole way until about 90 and then we had to stop at a light. But I was so deppressed from the poor performance of the 307 that I had at one time loved for its higher HP than my old 6. I am off to college after christmas and will have to store the car at Grandpas house, but that wont be the last time the road sees me and my 'Velle. I have big plans (motor). The car aint worth crap but I want to keep it for the fun factor. And buy another car later down the road and build a motor for the Velle. Well respond to this if you want or relate silently. It's up to you.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/w_surfer99/index.html

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
It is very common to overestimate the performance of a car before it hits the track. I would say that most of the people who estimate their car is a 13 second ride, or faster, would be in for a rude suprise if they ever make it to the track and see their number on an actual time slip. At least you didn't think your car was "fast", or that you had just put several thousand dollars into it before you came to that conclusion. It is just something to keep in mind when you are finished with school and have the recourses to make the car run much quicker.

Steve R.

G

·
Ouch,

Come on.... lets save up and get a motor in that Chevelle! Its hard enough now slapping down all those rice burners on the street. I try not to make a jerk out of myself but recently I had to blow away some moron in a GLS400. I thgink it was an Accura or something. The dick didn't want to let me get over.... so I cooked his rice wagon and it was a walk in the park! Needless to say I then switched lanes.

Dwaine
66SS

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albbies1:

Ouch,

Come on.... lets save up and get a motor in that Chevelle! Its hard enough now slapping down all those rice burners on the street. I try not to make a jerk out of myself but recently I had to blow away some moron in a GLS400. I thgink it was an Accura or something. The dick didn't want to let me get over.... so I cooked his rice wagon and it was a walk in the park! Needless to say I then switched lanes.

Dwaine
66SS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i love that feeling when you burn past some jerk who wont let you through and then switch lanes right in front of them. let those ****ty rice burners see some SS rearend!!!!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Don't feel bad some kid beat my Nova wagon with a stock Honda Civic. I have a good 340 hp 327 in the garage I think the six is going to leave.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
C'mon fellas. Racing belongs on the track, not on the street. We all love to put our foot in it once in a while, but that is waaaayy different than racing side by side down a city street. All you are accomplishing other than self satisfaction is giving us hobbyists a bad name. Please reconsider. Also, I would think this belongs in bench racing. Not in tech.

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I respect your opinion bcice as stated in my first post but I personally believe that street racing is an american pasttime and always will be. Though the cars have changed the idea is the same. Speed, Adrenaline, Pride, Name, Popularity, Girls. Cmon. Its dangerous but you have to admit it is fun.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And one more thing, Do you honestly feel that by me smoking some honda scum that I give you a bad name? No offense but are you that self-centered? Be unique, be yourself, BE the MAN.

------------------
69 Post

JOHN
1969 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Speed, Adrenaline, Pride, Name, Popularity, Girls. Cmon. Its dangerous but you have to admit it is fun.
------------------

I respect your opinion as well. I just think you are wrong. Think about this.
1 Speed: More fun at the track.
2 Pride: More fun if you win with more people watching.
3 Adrenaline: Way more with a set of lights and trying to get that perfect reaction time.
4 Name, Popularity and Girls?: Way better to have a name at the track. Popularity goes along with that. Girls? Sorry, I prefer women. But you may find both show up when you win at the track! I do not mean to dis you dude. Just saying there is a time and a place. The place is at the track.

[This message has been edited by bcice (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
319 Posts
i feel your pain/shame. my 307 doesn't combine well with my 2.73 gears. i just try not to challeng too much and take them out when they least expect it.
also the flamethrower tailpipes bring a whole new meaning to the term "rice burner"

------------------
Derek Ohlgren

68 El Camino w/ 307
Hugger Orange, beautiful color.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
Well you guys are lucky. Two of my local car friends happen to own "ricers" (rx7s). One owns a low 11 second 90 turbo II(15+lbs of boost) and the other owns 2 first gens and a 3rd gen. The 3rd gen has very little mods and run 12s, and the 2 first gens have the motors out to install turbos. Its very humbling.

I think its stupid and personally childish to celebrate beating a nonperformance car. Wow, my chevelle can beat a 17second car. Thats great, no really.

------------------
Joe Yoder
BADBU68
LSE Motivated

[This message has been edited by Joe Y (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hahaha I am on the other end where I can't race on the street even if I wanted too! Just put some nice loud mufflers on her so it has a deep throaty idle, some nice sized back tires, then just whip the crap out of a couple other supposedly "fast" cars, and suddenly the whole town knows about your car and nobody wants to be near it!

You have no idea how hilarious it is when a 5.0 pulls up beside you and the guy rev's his engine, and then you hear the guy in the passenger seat say "MAN, don't even waste your time, i've seen that car and it's effin FAST!". Hahaha man oh man I wish I got that on tape because I never get tired of that

So don't worry, I had to wait until after school, most people do. BTW I primarily race at the track, but you can't keep out of the throttle on the street ALL the time

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
"Our balls are bigger :)"
CDE Power!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Have to agree guys, by no means do I race on the street, heck the track either(yet), but I do let her loose when I drive it on most occations. My car does make lots of noise too, and the next door teen girl says my car is known around the high school as the quickest car in town. How that happened, I don't know? (I have been out of high school for 17 years now)Must have had a witness at a short blast on the outskirts of town.
When I do drive it around locally, no ricer or Mustang will get next to me. Kind of nice, but not to much fun. BTW, that PT would not stand a chance, you should think about a big block, its a blast.

------------------
My70ChevelleSS "Together we stand, devided we fall"

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Once upon a time (about 1988) I was driving my girlfriends 6 cyl. 82 mustang automatic.
(She was in the pass seat)
When a mutual friend pulled up next to us at the light, and threw a couple revs out of his 4 cyl turbo lebaron. Well the race was on (if you could call it that
) until we caught up to a state trooper, whom apparently didn't notice, that we was doin it in the streets.
Sad really, but funny.

·
Registered
227 Posts
first let me say street racing is like smoking you know its bad for you but its hard to kick the habbit. street racing and drag racing are 2 diffrent things donot get them mixed up.pulling up to a street race with my chevelle is like a drug in its self. the reaction is enuff to give anyone a big head. the only import i have lost to was a new supra twin turbo that at the time was running 12.0's and is now low 11's .but street racing is not like it use to be. the ricers for the most part are little kisd that think street racing it e-brake slids and donuts and 200 people whatching and only 10 people there with real cars.but any way if a car pulls up to me at a light and wants to play and i know the area is clear of cops its . thats why the hoosier quick time pro's never come off the car

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Oh my goodness. I've riddin' in a PT cruiser and if one of them hung with you, your in a bad way my friend!!

Better off taking the Huffy to college, it'll be quicker.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot before (street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BB_Mike:
Oh my goodness. I've riddin' in a PT cruiser and if one of them hung with you, your in a bad way my friend!!

Better off taking the Huffy to college, it'll be quicker.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHHAHA!!!

I too have ridden in a PT Cruiser, and know only too well what you mean!

·
Registered
790 Posts
The only way to tell you've gained any speed in a pt cruiser is by looking at the speedo gauge.....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.