Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just obtained a set of buckets seats from a fellow Team Chevelle member but they are '68's and my car is a '70. What needs to be changed to make these appear to be '70 bucket seats? Other than the side realease they appear to be the same

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
Changing a 68 bucket seat to a 70 bucket is next to impossible. They appear to look the same from the outside but they are very different inside. The release mechanism, as you said, is different and close to impossible to change. The headrest set-up is also quite different, and I'd be willing to bet the 68 seats you got don't have headrests. Since the release is different so is the plastic back panel.
You would be better off selling the seats as 68 seats and finding a 69-72 set. The other thing you can do if you don't care about correctness, is put 70 covers on the 68 seats and leave the release buttons on the side, then rig the headrests somehow...

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by AHSOM70:
As you said, the release button is on the side instead of the back...

So, other than that- Just the seat covers themselves are different. Frames & springs underneath are the same, so no need to change any of that, just get 70 covers and there you go...
Everything mentioned above is true, but don't forget the headrest. 69-72 seats came with headrest I believe that in 68 headrest were a rare option. I have an extra pair of 69-72 buckets, email me if you are interested.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I concur with everything Bill has stated about the differences in bucket seats between the 68 models and later models. The differences on the outside are obvious. By virtue of the vastly different seat back release mechanism, the seat bases are also different, although only slightly. You'll notice that the 69 and newer seats, there is a "shelf" at the rear of the seat base for the seat back release/catch. This shelf is not present on 68 model seats. While it does not adversly affect the operation when used in a 68 correct application, it is nonetheless, incorrect. You'll also note that once you get down to the springs, there are differences as well. In particular, the 68 seats I have utilize two side springs per side on each seat bottom. I also have a set of 69 seats and another set removed from a 71 Monte Carlo, neither of which utilize two side springs on both sides of the seat bottom. The 69 seats have a mounting provision for a second spring, The Monte seats do not. None of these differences amount to a hill of beans to most folks and indeed, only the seat back release issues are readily visible. Its just kind of interesting to note that aside from the seat back releases and headrests, 68 to 72 A-body buckets are not identical, as many contend.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes, they do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts