Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 5.9 210 hp Cummins ate a piston any body got a motor laying around? This is fixin to hurt real bad. Maybe Tom will take on this project. I'm not in a good mood right now. Me and Capt. Morgan are going to have a conversation tonight.:sad:

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Darren, there is no boat yard on Kauai but my boat is only a 30 footer so it is on a trailer at home the Cummins block is considered "disposable" so if the piston ate the block the crank is also probably damaged which keeps them in business because they sell assembles. The older eng. would not have had a problem but the newer generation diesels have much tighter piston to cylinder wall tolerances for the epa and if they overheat they lock up. The Murphy switch is set for 210* and it went off after the eng. was loosing power. Oh well it only had about 7000 hrs plus 12 trips from Kauai to Molokai for the canoe races. Aloha Mike

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be a little lopsided or maybe I could run a third motor:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
I don't own a boat but have experienced catastrophic engine failure and it isn't a nice experience. I understand the sinking feeling (no pun intended) you experienced. Sorry for your loss :sad:

I know where you can pick up a nice new 3126b Cat, 510hp. ;) :D
That would be a little lopsided or maybe I could run a third motor:thumbsup:
Maybe Darren could hook you up to get 2 Cats for "balance" :D

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Aukai,
I feel the pain, 3 years ago we had one of our cummins do the same exact thing. Searched all over for a good replacement, then decided to replace both. Looked at converting to Yanmars and found that to be very costly, plus now they are having issues with their heat exchangers. We opted for a re-power with John Deere 6068's and haven't looked back but you may have issues getting a big enough wheel on it.....they are very powerful and gob's of torque we were able to almost buy both for the cost of 1 Cummins and they are steel sleeved blocks and rebuild able in the boat. At the time of purchase while meeting with the rep he told us about one in commercial service with over a 100k hours on it with out being shut down. Imagine doing oil changes while running (geesh).....good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my hull to prop clearance is close so I can only run 20" props at the most. Thanks for the condolences, how am I going to take any TC'rs fishing now? I guess everybody has to visit Tom and go skiing.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
NOW you mention fishing!! I woulda grabbed Darren and headded out your way when I was there. I have a Cummins that would fit but you'd have to take the truck with it!

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it's running all are welcome to go fishing. I work on the ambulance 10 days a month that leaves the other 20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts