Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here Is A Picture Of An Edelbrock Victor Jr Head On My Sbc 383. The Combustion Chamber Hangs Over The Bore. It Has A 4.030 Bore. Anyone Know How The Other Brands Fit??? Please Help.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
have the block chamfered, that what we have done on 283 engines. I always bolt my heads on the block like that and check them, even more so if your sending the heads out for porting - i will mark the cylinder on the deck so the porter can see where the head will be sitting

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Here Is A Picture Of An Edelbrock Victor Jr Head On My Sbc 383. The Combustion Chamber Hangs Over The Bore. It Has A 4.030 Bore. Anyone Know How The Other Brands Fit??? Please Help.
Is that not why Edelbrock recommends.
Edelbrock Head Gaskets
Part Number: #7310
Bore (in): 4.190 in.
Compressed Thickness (in): 0.038 in.
Compressed Volume (cc): 8.60 cc volume
:confused:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My response to your question on gofastnews:

Unfortunately in the CFM wars a large combustion chamber is a requirement to get the big flow numbers. I believe that the bulk of the heads being built are designed on the 400 bore size to achieve these flow numbers, but it isn't uncommon, just do the same inspection on a big block Chev and you will see even more bore overhang.

Use the correct head gasket, and bolt them on and go.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
It appears the intake valve still clears the bore's edge rather easily. The smallblock valves travel in a straight line so you shouldn't have any huge problems with them hitting the block, so what's the problem? A BBC intake valve is much closer to the edge and has a relief in the block to help clear everything.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
SAJ is just saying (I Believe) that the chamber hangs over the bores. He finds that odd. Wondering about the effects this would have on combustion...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts

Some cylinders have a relief ground in...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts