Chevelles.com banner

81 - 100 of 224 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
There will be no problem proving the new shop partner was not part of the original agreement. His name would not be on the old licensee issued for the shop to do business. If the new shop absorbed the old shop it is there Reasonability to notify you of it moving your property and honor the original deal. I believe up to 10% overage. Next thing I would be hunting down pictures, videos and receipts of parts you had installed on your car. This way you will be prepared when you go look at your car in case something else is damaged or missing.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I would still have a trusted friend follow the guy at a distance from his residence to his "new" shop just to find out where the shop is. Once you know that, you may be able to see if your El Camino is there. Possibly have that friend walk into the shop under the pretense of an estimate to get a closer look at things. Nothing else, just a look-see.

Maybe get a little peace of mind if you know the car is there, and not stripped or sold.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
I would still have a trusted friend follow the guy at a distance from his residence to his "new" shop just to find out where the shop is. Once you know that, you may be able to see if your El Camino is there. Possibly have that friend walk into the shop under the pretense of an estimate to get a closer look at things. Nothing else, just a look-see.

Maybe get a little peace of mind if you know the car is there, and not stripped or sold.
Eyeballing the car, even from a distance, will be a huge relief.

Then, at least, you'll know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I'm starting to think about following him in the morning to his shop. The mobile home park he's in, is packed with mobile homes, but there is only one way out, and I can wait for him at the exit of the park and not look too obvious as if I was waiting outside his home. It should be a relatively short drive to where his shop is. As the sub-area outside Denver that the shop is supposed to located in, and is the same as where he lives - is relatively small, I'll only have to see him make a few turns while driving to narrow down the location.

I could drive around looking for body shops there, but in the past he didn't advertise or have a shop name on the exterior. I have searched online for body shops in the area and all that come up don't seem related.

Getting a look at it through a window after hours, or having someone else go in would be helpful. I will have a heck of a time documenting the parts on the vehicle as most were bought from Summit ten years ago or so.

I know that at the last shop the owner had gone to keeping the doors locked during business hours and had a video camera on the door that he could see from inside. His neighbors had become marijuana grow houses, legally licensed. That was in a more urban area than the car is supposed to currently be in but that business practice may continue as he already has the video camera from the last shop.

If my attorney doesn't hear back from their attorney in short order, I think I'm going to go that way. I'm a sleep apnea person and so mornings are rough, but I can get some sleep somewhere afterwards. Being tired will also keep me calm at the time.

I don't know how a shop can legally withhold the location of the vehicle they want to collect storage fees on, as was recently asked. Heck, I have to remind them that the job was for more than just the quarter panel, and am setting myself up for more payments than they can remember, but that was the original agreement and I'm good for it, if its completed. That amount plus storage is offensive, as there was no contact until Detective Matthews gave them my phone number.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts

I don't know how a shop can legally withhold the location of the vehicle they want to collect storage fees on, as was recently asked. Heck, I have to remind them that the job was for more than just the quarter panel, and am setting myself up for more payments than they can remember, but that was the original agreement and I'm good for it, if its completed. That amount plus storage is offensive, as there was no contact until Detective Matthews gave them my phone number.
Not the shop how can the police not tell you where it is. You are the legal owner!

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
That's what I don't understand why don't the cops tell you where YOUR property is?...they smoking pot too?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You're a better man than me. I'd take my car back at gunpoint. Since we're defunding the police, there won't be any fallout.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
That's what I don't understand why don't the cops tell you where YOUR property is?...they smoking pot too?
Agreed. How are you supposed to pay for the work done (plus bogus storage fees) & pick up the car if you don't know where it is? :confused:

This is a nightmare...I'd have sleep apnea too if I was dealing with this. I really hope this gets resolved in short order.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I didnt read all the advice but the way I would handle it is just tell my wife where the guy lives and not look back. Women can get a little crazy when personal property gets stolen.
my buddy had a crazy ex girlfriend. really nice girl but she took her dog in for a groom and there was a billing issue and they didn't want to give the dog back. Lori walked in the groomers, pointed a loaded pistol at the owners face and said she was here to pick up her dog. Problem solved.
crazy thing, she never got the cops called on or anything. most of us would still be in jail. jim

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,957 Posts
Whose is the name on the title? That's the legal owner.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
The police have No reason for not telling you where the shop is that has your car. It is a public business so No concerns of privacy issues...

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Can you see if there is a business license under the guys name? If so, that might give you his address.

I haven’t read the entire thread, but is this a legit body shop with a business license that deals with insurance companies, meets environmental regulations and pays taxes? Or is it one of those places run by guys with some skills that have trouble holding down a regular job?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
My guess is they must have some kind of lic. or the cops would have done something as in busting a Chop Shop? but they sure aren't very professional business men it seems

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
OK so THEY lose YOUR phone number so they hatch this here brilliant scheme.
scumbag #1 say's "where is this guy ? why doesn't he come pick the car up, doesn't he sense that it's finished ?????? "

#2 scumbag doesn't know,so he say's ok then "we better call him up and tell him to come get the car"

#1 scumbag said "we can't call him we lost his phone number"

So scumbag #2 is PO'ed "well then I'm not storing his car for him.He gonna have to pay the storage fees we make up"

then he says "And I'm gonna tell him that....as soon as I find his phone number"

#1 and #2 look at each other and say "I think we should keep his car and as soon as I find his phone number I'm gonna tell him that he can't have his car back either"

#1 "I think we should call our lawyer"

#2 says "OK then,that's a good idea "

#1 is annoyed "why didn't you call the lawyer"

#2 scumbag is confused "Can't find the number"

:wacko: :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through this a few years back. Purchased parts and work that was never done. Took the clown to small claims court, won the court case because the scumbag never showed up... never got paid from the court case... the courts and the cops did nothing.

A couple of months later I took a trip out to his shop, showed up early before anyone was there and waited for him to show up. I did get my parts back.....

·
Premium Member
6,969 Posts
I don't see what the body shop guys have to gain by refusing to tell you where your car is. I would think they want you to come pick it up and pay them something and get it out of their way. Honestly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your car is gone.

This is a long thread so maybe I overlooked it, but I've not seen where anyone has actually laid eyeballs on your car, The police detective says he was told it's in storage, but he's not seen it.

They are stalling, stonewalling, and delaying you to set the stage for claiming they sold it to cover unpaid storage fees.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
You're a better man than me. I'd take my car back at gunpoint. Since we're defunding the police, there won't be any fallout.
This is a very bad idea for several reasons.
a. What you are suggesting is a crime. Depending upon laws of the state it is
either a misdemeanor or a felony. But you will have plenty of time to sort that out while locked up in the county hotel.
b. Maybe the body guy has his own gun and after you put his life in danger he would have every right to shoot you in the head.
c. The police are not very helpful and I am not surprised but if one manages to pull this off they be surely paying you a visit and most likely their weapons will be drawn and pointed at you.

I know this is Colorado, but this isn’t 1882 where disputes are settled via handguns.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I would think they want you to come pick it up and pay them something and get it out of their way. Honestly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your car is gone

They are stalling, stonewalling, and delaying you to set the stage for claiming they sold it to cover unpaid storage fees.

JMHO
Im thinking the same. :frown2:

·
Registered
685 Posts
The biggest mistake you made was getting all these second hand people involved in what should have been a civilized one on one with the owner. Finding the shop or the owner should have been your number one priority. Now it's completely out of control with storage fees going up everyday. Your frustrated because you think he was cheating you and the owner is insulted because you made him out as a crook. The first or second response on this thread should have been the route you took. And why would you think that hiring an attorney would be better than locating the owner by hiring a PI. Even the utility companies might have a record of water or electrical service to this person. That is if you actually had a name that wasn't bogus or a company name that he used. Sounds like you eventually found out he lives in a trailer park but now it's too late to start over. Your knocking on his door at a reasonable hour would certainly have let him know you can find him and a quick hand shake and discussion would have probably resolved everything in 10 minutes. Good luck.

81 - 100 of 224 Posts