Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article in Car Craft about stroker motors. I had to lay off my Chevelle project for a little while, but not that things are starting to settle down, I think I am going to leap back into it pretty soon.

This article got me thinking, it gives a chart of sizes but doesn't tell you if those bore x stroke sizes are even possible. I guess my question is what is the biggest bore and stroke you could go on a standard deck 1974 454 Block. I have a feeling the specs they gave were for an aftermarket block, but I just was wondering what the largest displacement you could safely go would be.

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
(disclaimer) This assumes that "your" block is capable.
As long as you have the wall thickness, a 454 can be bored .100 over.
You can install a 4.25 stroke crank with little or no clearancing.
4.351 bore + 4.25 stroke = 505ci.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blocks already done.... its been done for over a year. When I get to starting the project i will post pictures of everything. The block was already magnafluxed, tanked, bored .030 over, new bearings, and painted. Right now I am just trying to get ideas, because this time, when I restore this car, I am doing it right for once and for all. This will be my 2nd time restoring it in I think its been 6 years (I think).

P.S. largest??????

I will speak with ANOTHER machinist before purchasing or changing anything but I will spend the extra $$ this time if need be. I think 496 will probably sufice but can you go any bigger then 553? I know at this point the block will need to be reworked. Is there anyone on the forum running anything bigger? Its one thing to put in a magazine that you could stroke an engine to around 620 cubes, but has it been done?

DG

·
Registered
75 Posts
fwiw- I have a Merlin III standard deck block with a 4.5" bore. They say you can bore the 1/4" walls 1/8" if over 1500 HP but 3/16" more if under 1500. Takes a 4 3/8 stroke with no mods. There's an even bigger block that takes a 5" bore by 6" stroke for almost 1000 cubes. Anybody know the name of the company? I think they're in Wisconsin

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
This years IHRA Pro-Mod nitorus motors are 5.2 in bore spacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts