Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this stuff happen to you guys or am I the only one that ****ed God off in a prior life and hr's brought me back to screw with me. Friday I have a list of things to get done for the weekend that includes, move the 72 to the other bay and put it up for the winter, move the 70 to the bay where I might, if time and money allow, actually tackle the door skins and door handle shave. Run the gas out of the push mover, split some firewood and put it on the rack, clean out/rebuild the carb on the chipper, trim the front and rear hedge and chip up the brush and cut up another tree or two if I have time and haul the pieces over to the wood pile and lastly, mow the back lot.

so here is how it goes. It is raining on friday of course so I delay moving the velles around, not a problem accept I now have to remove and rebuild the carb on the chipper in the bay where the finished car is. Well to make some room on the work bench I move an old Quadrajet that is worthless and for some reason I hang onto thinking someday I'll need a spring or jet off it. Of course I loose my grip on the thing and drop it right on my big toe. It wasn't to bad after the blood soaked through my sneakers it clotted up and stopped bleeding. Then I tear into the Small engine repair job, disassembling the carb, cleaning everything up, but int he process dropping the needle valve and loosing it under the velle for 1/2 an hour only to reassemble the carb after finding the part to discover that the float has a crack/leak. After I fired it up I see gas running out of the air cleaner and it drowns itself. I pull it all back apart to discover a hair line crack. Well, while trying to solder up the crack the thin brass just melts away so I have to get on the internet and order a $3.50 part from Tecumseh, BTW the shipping and handling is 15 bucks. So a hour long job takes all day and it is still in pieces.

Satr it clears off some so I decide to attempt to cut up some fire wood. After threating my 18 year old with deportation if he doesn't get his lazy tail out there to help me and insisting that we use his (my old Dakota) we get started on the trees. Well while driving his truck out to the back lot he runs over a large thorn bush and sticks a thorn through his rear tire which proceeds to go flat slowly over th next hour or so, and while throwing a small piece of wood about 15 feet from where I was standing into the bed I miss and break out a tail light lens that I get to pay for and fix. To top it off just as we're getting the first load on the truck it starts pouring. By time we get every thing put away we're soaked and then it stops raining.

The forecast here was for rain on sunday so after taking a hot shower I decide to move the two velles around since it was not raining at the time, after backing the 72 into the other side I proceed to open the door and smack it into the shelving, fortunately it doesn't chip the paint. Then as I'm running the 70 into the other side, the 70 has no front clip, no glass, no interior and the rear quarters are only in K36 primmer, it starts pouring again, guess who gets soaked again. So I've decided I had it for the day and go into the house only to get to sit and watch the cooking channel with the wife for two or three hours.

So yesterday I get up and it is sunny and beautiful out and they changed the forecast. So I'm thinking great I can get some more work done out in the back lot. So I go hunting the 18 year old, who must have gotten out of bed before noon for the first time in months, saw the sun, knew I'd draft him and has split to parts unknown for the day. I go out get my splitting maul out to split some firewood, select a nice 18 inch piece, position it just right, I raise my mighty maul, and as it come crashing down on the piece it splits, but instead of the pieces going right and left, one flies back and hits me in the family package.

Spent the rest of the day watching speed vision.

· Registered
18,758 Posts
I have to admire your self-control. I would have been throwing tools after the Tail Light Incident :D

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Sounds like someone is trying to tell you it's time to be a winter couch potato!!! :D Time to go snuggle up with the wife and watch TV until the snow melts!

I feel for ya Rick!!! Was in a great mood the other weekend walking out my front door to go meet my cousin at the track. Well the walkway in front of my house is L shaped. Well I stepped across the L into the space BETWEEN the concrete and took the big fall, had coffee in one hand, jacket in the other, so down I went, trying to roll as I fall. Got a wicked rash all up the right arm, looks like the crust on baked macaroni (eww-what a visual!) but didn't break anything. Had to just lie there and laugh (and curse) at myself for a minute. However the rest of the day was enjoyable.

· Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I am a big baby when things aren't going my way. Tools get thrown, things get kicked, and storming off is a given. Last time it was because I couldn't get a caliper bracket bolt off my 02 monte. Seemed no matter how hard I pulled, the bolt wouldn't budge. I did some combination of the above and ran upstairs to the shower. After about 1 minute of cooling off, I realized I had been turning the bolt the wrong way..... duhhhh.

Sometimes your best bet is to walk away and leave it for awhile.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Well, luckily I usually don't have a "hunny-do" list that long, so I have never had a weekend that bad. Yesterday was a bad "car" day for me though. Was going to do a head and a cam swap this winter, so I figured I would start the tear down and go from there. When we were removing the hood, I slipped with the ratchet...and took a nice chunk out of the Viper Red/Clear Coat all teh way down to the primer. Fine, I was annoyed, but sh*t happens. So I continue to take apart the motor and just as I am about to crack the heads I get a phone call.

Its the 2nd owner of the car who built the motor. He said that it would have domed pistons to yeild 9.5:1 Compression with 119cc heads. Great:D . So, I crack the heads....and their flat tops.:sad: So I called an engine builder/machine shop and siad I have maybe 8:1 MAX. Needless to say I wasn't happy.

But on the bright side, I found a guy selling a 468 with 10.5:1, Sollid Roller motor for cheap, and he will put it on the dyno before I buy it. So, everything happens for a reason

Except for that wood in the "family package". That just adds injury to insult.

Cheer up...it could be worse. :waving:

Chris

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy69 said:
I have to admire your self-control. I would have been throwing tools after the Tail Light Incident :D
Oh believe me, while tools were not flying (every time I throw a tool it either hits something of value or it hits the wall and comes back and hits me) the air was blue, the wife hid in her sewing room and the dogs under the bed. Fortunately the neighbors are just far enough away and old enough to have bad hearing so as not to hear me.

· Registered
4,666 Posts
This is why I keep a piece of 4x4 and a BFH next to the car while I'm working on it. It's safer to pound the crap out of the 4x4 than to throw tools. And best of all: my wife knows that it's time to get me a beer when I'm cussing and pounding on it.

· Registered
167 Posts
I learned my lesson about throwing tools. Especially 2# ball peened hammers. They have a tendancy to bounce back at the thrower, dropping just a few inches from original point of trajectory. After taking the "return trip" a few times, I learned to duck, forgetting the truck was behind me....do I REALLY need to say anymore? Door glass can't take a joke...

· Premium Member
22,931 Posts
You know it's a bad weekend when the highlight is "one flies back and hits me in the family package"!
Sorry Rick! I really didn't mean to :D when reading your story. :(

· Premium Member
69 chevelle malibu convertible
3,354 Posts
Professor_SS said:
while throwing a small piece of wood about 15 feet from where I was standing into the bed I miss and break out a tail light lens that I get to pay for and fix.
I dropped my mini bike on my chevelle and shattered the tail light lens... breaking stuff sucks. Got a few nice dings in the garage door too from stray pieces of firewood bouncing into it when we're unloading the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.