Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a book i have about the 1972 Chevelles.
And while i briefly looked through the option list page, My eyes caught the B97 option.

I'll copy it for you:
B90 --- Molding - Side window reveal
B93 --- Guards - Door edge
B94 --- Emblem - Body "GT"
B95 --- Applique - Pillar
B96 --- Molding - Wheel opening
B97 --- Spoiler

I didn't know that Chevelles had an optional spoiler from the factory!!
Anybody has a picture of such a spoiler?

Never saw one.. Kind of interesting.

I justed checked my other book (1970 Chevelles) And it has that option listed as well.

Anyone?

------------------
Shai

1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
Restoration started: February 10th 2001
TC member #1278

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d1_bradley:
Could also be the airfoil over the tailgate on a wagon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty sure they would have market it is a Wagon option only..
But they didn't.

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Shai-

How about the B94 option of a "GT" body emblem? I've never heard of any Chevelle that had "Grand Tourismo" badges.....

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riskyvt:
Shai-

How about the B94 option of a "GT" body emblem? I've never heard of any Chevelle that had "Grand Tourismo" badges.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.. I saw that to..
It says something about a GT Chevelle in the book..

Look:
Z15 --- SS model
Z20 --- two tone paint
Z21 --- Style trim
Z25 --- "SS" 396 package
Z26 --- S.S.
Z29 --- G.T. Option
Z54 --- interior decor

Weird stuff.

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FO_FDYFO:
my information shows me that for 1970 wagon the rear air deflector is rpo c51.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.
my book shows:
C51 --- Deflector - Station Wagon Air

------------------
Shai

TC member #1278

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yuk that spoiler is ugly. It's only there to keep the rear tires on the road while racing?

There is a chevelle in the chp magazine that has the same spoiler, i thought it was customized.

Michael

·
Registered
992 Posts
Leo, I was thinking the same exact thing.

I know nowadays on the Firebird and the Camaro they lump all the RPOs of a body line together.

So you'll never see a WS6 Camaro or a Firebird Z28.

That is probably a GTO code

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
which issue of Chevy high perf is it in? got a page # too? I have all issues right next to me. just want to look and see how yuky it is
oh, and thanks for the backup ChaosMalibu

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto www.EINSTYN.com

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
GTO's did have a "ducktail" spoiler...not the The Judge spoiler that most people are thinking of and it was available during a short time in the '72 model year. Not many were made and I've seen one on a GTO at a show a couple of years ago. It more or less looked like a Trans Am spoiler of that era slapped on the decklid and quarters. Weird but kind of cool.

Joe

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
According to my GM P&A Manual convering RPO codes from 1966-71, there is no B97 code. However, in the GM Restoration Kit I have for my 1967, there is a list of codes for 1970-76 Chevrolet Production Options (not just Chevelle) and it does show the B97 code as "Spoiler". The same holds true for the B94, B95, and B96 codes. I would guess they are for another car in the Chevrolet (or GM) lineup.

In the P&A Manual, there are also the Z15 (SS454), Z21 (Exterior Moulding), Z25 (SS 396), and Z26 (Super Sport) codes. The Restoration Kit has the Z20 (Two Tone Accent Pkg.), Z29 (G.T. Option), and Z54 (Interior Decor/Quiet Sound Group).

Go figure...GM

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
If you check a '72 Lemans/GTO brochure, you will see a GTO with the rare duck tail spoiler. Very few ever got out of the factory before it was cancelled. There was also a Lemans GT available. There is a blue Yenko Chevelle around with what looks like a Camaro duck tail spoiler attached. It looks like a Camaro spoiler grafted to the car.
The manuals were printed up quite a while before the cars went into production. Sometimes options get cancelled at the last minute. The best example would be the LS6 454 for the '70 1/2 Camaro. The parts books list everything but the engine was cancelled at the last minute. The spoiler and the GT may have met the same demise. Who knows.

[This message has been edited by Keith Tedford (edited 12-11-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I've never seen any reference to any spoiler on a Chevelle from the factory, but in 1977 there was a dealer-created special edition model (sic) with a ducktail spoiler.
As for Pontiac Lemans, indeed there is a spoiler shown on a GTO in the brochure. According to Pontiac only TWO were factory installed on 1972 Lemans, both were WU2 Lemans GTs, not the W62 GTO. The rest of the spoilers that were made ended up in the parts system for dealer installation. This is according to Musclecar Review, January 2000 (which also features Dan Carr's '71 GMC Sprint SP454).
If you think that's rare, in 1984 Chevrolet built ONE Chevette with a rear spoiler (yawn) and there was ONE 1975 Camaro with factory D88 stripes (I have no idea what style they were; they were post-Z28).
BTW, rear spoilers were usually coded RPO D80, although the 3-piece ducktail spoiler that we associate with the 2nd generation Camaro actually used the Firebird center section and was initially offered as a COPO in 1970 to supplant the low 1-piece D80 rear spoiler (which itself may even have been the leftover 1969 style).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.