Team Chevelle banner

That Will Do!

1379 41
Saturday was my last Locomotive Engineer trip worked after 38 1/2 years of railroading. Tough decision as I still liked the job and the vast majority of people I worked with but you can't work forever. Time now for travel, fishing, racing, and generally anything else I want to do. My wife met me at the shop track when I got in and took a few pics.

Train Sky Vehicle Blue Rolling stock
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Saturday was my last Locomotive Engineer trip worked after 38 1/2 years of railroading. Tough decision as I still liked the job and the vast majority of people I worked with but you can't work forever. Time now for travel, fishing, racing, and generally anything else I want to do. My wife met me at the shop track when I got in and took a few pics.

View attachment 754907
Congratulations

What company? Canadian National?
My dad retired from Union Pacific 14ish years ago - Worked for C&NW before UP bought em up.
He was a boom truck operator and a Crane operator before that.

Enjoy

·
Registered
983 Posts
Congratulations on retirement! Life's too short to spend it all working for somebody else. Unfortunately, even after almost 37 years at my job, I likely have 10-12 to go. :cry: I didn't know we had any railroad people here. Railroads have been my biggest hobby next to cars since I was a little kid, and I have traveled all over the Midwest photographing them and learning their histories. I like to call this girl the LS6 Chevelle of steam engines: 400 tons, 4500 horsepower, can pull a hundred car freight train or pull a passenger train at 70 MPH. There are bigger engines, there are more powerful or faster ones, but few have the all around performance of a Nickel Plate Lima Berkshire.
Cloud Sky Rolling stock Train Railway
Train Sky Plant Cloud Rolling stock

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Congratulations on retirement! Life's too short to spend it all working for somebody else. Unfortunately, even after almost 37 years at my job, I likely have 10-12 to go. :cry: I didn't know we had any railroad people here. Railroads have been my biggest hobby next to cars since I was a little kid, and I have traveled all over the Midwest photographing them and learning their histories. I like to call this girl the LS6 Chevelle of steam engines: 400 tons, 4500 horsepower, can pull a hundred car freight train or pull a passenger train at 70 MPH. There are bigger engines, there are more powerful or faster ones, but few have the all around performance of a Nickel Plate Lima Berkshire. View attachment 754939 View attachment 754943
There isn't much that looks better than a steam engine at full tilt under load. In my opinion anyway.😁

·
Premium Member
1970 Chevelle LS6 ZQ9 Cortez Silver
52 Posts
Hey enjoy

View attachment 754907
Enjoy your retirement! I had a similar career as a airline pilot. Hey what part of Canada are you from? Im in Hamilton. Peter

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Congratulations on a well deserved retirement.Now is the time to do all that Chevelle stuff you have planned.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle SS
517 Posts
Congrats!

I'm still plugging away; partly because our son (who does the same work) doesn't want me to retire yet, partly because it's [email protected] good $$, and partly because my better half has a few years left (end of 2025 I think).

And with 67 summers in the bank, I can now take as much time off as I want anyway, so why not?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy it You deserve it!
Trains (real ones and N-gauge) are my other hobby! It must be in my blood as my Grandfather was a fireman on the Nickel Plate R.R. back in the 1920’s before getting involved with cars. I grew up just a few miles from the New York Central main line between Chicago and New York City which had constant rail traffic -perfect for train watching! I did get to see the M-497 Black Beetle up close, but was in school when it ran!
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
View attachment 754981

Well done Rick! You did the Train's part... now it's time for planes and automobiles! That looks like an SD40-2 3000hp right? CP Rail ID 5738, hey wait a minute, are there other's with the same ID?
SD75 4300hp. Nice quiet locomotives built by GM in the mid 90's. Decal in the cab says "Whisper Cab". Units built 20 years later were not this quiet, although they lack air conditioning and the heaters are not that great in -40.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Rick... you spend half your life doing what you have to do to raise a family and do things right!
Now you can spend the other half doing what you Want to do and take things as they come.
Congratulations.
Don't leave doing stuff too long... Work is like a drug... it pulls you back unless you have better things to do.
I know after releasing from Army... I went right back in...

Casey

Reactions: SS427Rick
21 - 40 of 42 Posts