Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to thank Dean for some advice on a fuel pump leak.

I posted a question about an oil leak I had around my fuel pump. He suggested That it might actually be a bolt that is located on the front of the block near the pump. He also said that this bolt is removed and replaced with a longer bolt to hold the push rod up while you change the pump.

I discovered that the bolt was actually gone, so that was probably the cause. I already had a new pump gasket, so I decided to change it just to be on the safe side. I tried using the bolt to hold up the rod and it worked great. I also found that the upper pump bolt is the perfect length to hold the rod. I just pushed the rod up and threaded the bolt in until the rod stayed. Reinstalling the pump was a breeze, just put the other three bolts in and then removed the forth and installed it.

The reason I posted this (other than to thank dean) is to let people know about this technique. I know a lot of people already know this, but I read a pretty long post a couple months ago on ways for keeping the push rod up in the block and nobody mentioned this, so it must not be that well known.

Anyway, thanks again and hope this helps someone else,

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Gold Founding Member
63,799 Posts
Thanks, it's good to know the tip worked well.
I used to use wheel bearing grease and every other trick before I found out about using a longer bolt for a "set screw" to hold the push rod up

I bet you had a lot of oil blowing out if the bolt was missing

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69
14th annual ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals pictures

A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken
spirit dries the bones.

·
Registered
176 Posts
this is a stupid question but, i am used to mopar pums that run right off a cam lobe, and never had to do one on a chevy. how does it work, and what is this rod you are talking about?
thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my understanding that the rod just runs between an extra front cam lobe and the pump lever.

I guess the pumps in chevys are farther away from the cam than mopars.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Gold Founding Member
63,799 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iwantachevelle:
this is a stupid question but, i am used to mopar pums that run right off a cam lobe, and never had to do one on a chevy. how does it work, and what is this rod you are talking about?
thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a stupid question at all

There is a 1/2" dia. pushrod about 6" long that falls down when the fuel pump is removed which makes it difficult to re-install the fuel pump and keep the push rod up against the cam lobe at the same time

There is a 3/8 threaded hole in the front of the block directly in line with the push rod so putting a longer bolt in the hole and gently snugging it against the push rod acts as a "set screw" and holds the rod up out of the way
(be sure and put the short bolt back before cranking the engine over)

If the original short bolt is left unsealed, oil will blow out and the cooling fan will blow oil all over everything

I found this out one time after replacing valve cover, and timing cover gaskets, trying to fix the oil leak

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That trick works great on the older blocks, but some of the newer ones don't have a threaded hole. One I used on my truck was to hold the rod up and back with a hacksaw blade. Slide the pump down in place and then slide the hacksaw blade out at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.