Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
some 8 or 9 months back when it looked like my project wasnt gonna happen

i took the drive to laytonville to see mike lewis. dropped off some parts a

stack of franklins and last friday i recieved word that my new 540 was done.

so i took the drive back up last friday to see mike and the engine was on

the dyno ready to run. i appoligize now for the short video of the dyno run

but the camera was new to me just 10 hours before driving off.

the combination is dart block dart 335 cnc heads manley nex tec springs

titanium retainers , jesel tie bar shaft mount rockers, trend .125 push rods

isky red zone solid roller lifters tie bar , isky solid roller 736 int 714 exh.

262/268 @ 50 mahlee pistons h beam rods callies 4,250 steel crank.

dart intake lightly ported pro systems dominator ati balancer and a pair of

fabricated valve covers that at this time are a one only in exsistance pair

with the lewis racing engines logo engraved in them. :yes:

the compression is 10.5.1 the engine made 747 hp and 685 tq on pump gas.

i owe alot of thanks to mike lewis for many reasons . i can say this much if

you want a job done right quality work with many years exp then mike is your

man. let me put it this way . he is his buisness he is on sight and if he dosent

want to work that day and sit around with a fire goin watchin cable tv he

can , and to me that means attention to detail and an engine that wasnt

slapped together in a weeks time and a quality build.

i would recomend mike lewis to anyone who is looking for quality engine

work or great deals on new parts . mike THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beers: . CLICK THE PIC,S TO ENLARGE .

http://media.putfile.com/540-dyno-run

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are mystery rods. best i can tell you. the guy i got the engine from told me they was carillo but they have no markings on them as to who makes them but they are a steel h beam . sorry wish i could say for sure. they was part of my old 540 and i reused them along with the callies crank that was in the old motor. so they could be just about anyones h beam.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Nice project! :thumbsup:
Nice figures too. Good to see because it's very close to what I built a couple years ago. Slightly more compression and cam but I'd be very happy with those figures.
Especially on an HONEST dyno like Mike's. ;)

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
that's a kick-butt dyno sheet, look at that torque curve. 600 or more from 3700 to 6500? still runnin' hard shutoff at 6800. Bet it's good to 74.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes the car is yellow . its goin in my 69 camaro thats got full pro tour suspension that claims it will g out at 1.25 i will be happy if it g ,s at 1.00 or there around. yeah tires will always be an issue , especially on f1-gsd3 tires . im wondering how lil of a gear i can get away with. 3:42 ? 3:50 ? i have 4 :10,s now and it was squirly with the old hyd roller 540 so the 4:10,s have to go . yeah im quite happy with the numbers im sure if a guy wanted to throw money and tons of time on the dyno it could hold maybe 10 more hp and then again it might be all it is now . eaither way im pleased with it.
the dart heads yeah they work . dart alleges there 335 cnc head,s flow 415 cfm maybe they do maybe they dont mine if i remember right was like 397 cfm so there a bit shy of the claimed 415 when mike found out what i paid
for the heads and intake work he was silent for a brief moment then said flowing big air isnt the only thing to making power the port design has to be good as well that where you get your real power i know this much im happy as can be . if it was sittin in your garage i think you would be to . LOL . the install soon as i get even a lil decent weather no later than maybe 6 weeks i hope for now its just sitting in a bag with all spring pressure off the valves. but man i cant wait.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So...that was your yellow 540....Mikes in the middle of mine now. A little more cam and compression and 345 AFR's. Still makes me nervous when that dyno goes wide open. Were you in the room? Now thats brave...sounds great.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes i stood in the room right next to it with ear muff,s on to dampen the sound it will be fun take your camera dont worry about it breakin mike does excellent work . besides if there was a faulty part better to fly apart in that lil room than in your car. i wouldnt worry at all stand there and smile . actually mine was dynoed one week before i came to get the motor and he eaither left it there or reinstalled it just so i could watch and take the movie
like i said i owe mike many thanks in many ways for his help.

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
Thank you for the cool post & all the kind words & be sure to say hi to your dad.
Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves & were able to come over & see the engine run & get a little video
Good thing you did not wait, we are snowed in over here & I had to go up on the roof to spray the snow off the damn internet antenna so it would work.
They closed the highway today for a time people were gettin so stupid out there..
The wolves loved it though :D

I wanted to stick it back on the dyno anyway just to check a couple of things after the issue with oil pressure the week before. :(
It is rock steady at 7000 now :thumbsup:

While I feel the AFR heads are a better deal there is no question the Dart heads make power & just for info this was done with 2" headers & not enough collector.
There is an easy 25+ HP with different headers & I would not be surprised to see 50 with little to no loss of low end with just some header tweakin,,

The Pro System carb was flawless, it had awesome BSFC & AFR numbers right out of the box.

Not bad for a "street engine" :D

Thank you again for allowing us to help, it really is appreciated
BTW, I ordered your other new toy today, should be here next week ;)

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
Damn, while attaching my dyno sheet, I lost all my text. I hate when that happens.

I may decide to type it again later, right now, it just doesn't seem to be as necessary as it did before.

Nonetheless, here's my numbers........hopefully.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your quite welcome mike and the thanks goes to you . THANK YOU. yeah i heard you was gettin a bit of the white stuff up your way should be the last of it this week looks like sun for the weekend. thanks for ordering the tool mike just shoot me an email with the price and i will get ya the money mailed right away .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts