Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TC,

Doing the TH400 Torrington rear thrust upgrade. Is there a wider bushing available for this spot in the case?

When you drive the bushing forward to allow proper register of the Torrington and possible shims, seems there is a good little bit of case bore available for more bushing. Logic says it could be used as additional bearing area.

I have heard talk of some doing this upgrade, but cannot find any definitive part number for the bushing. Is it a 4L80 part?

Any idea of a part number or trans cross reference for this bushing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those who might care to know, I was able to get a 4L80E rear bushing from a trans shop in town. N/C. Part # unknown. From more research, I think this is the best bushing to use if you're doing a Torrington upgrade. Pretty much all the output shaft journal (less the Torrington) will be born by the wider bushing.

Same OD/ ID as the 400 part, but taller and has a different oil groove. Just one groove travelling from the center on an angle to the outside. This oil path must face to the inside to provide adequate lube to the Torrington. Hopefully the lube bleeding out will be enough for the governor gear. I slightly bevelled the inside edge to ensure it will sit flush to the radiused corner of the output shaft, ensuring no chance of interference when checking rear endplay.

I pressed the bushing in with red Loctite, leaving about .120 sticking out forward into the case to register the Torrington and any shims req.

Hopefully I'm on the right track.

Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts