Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the stock shifter has the advantage that it is stock...other than that its nothing special...
if trying to manually shift it is next to impossible to hit 2nd and drive accurately esp at the track when a little adrenaline tends to flow...

i know that ratchet types only allow one gear change at a time but do they ratchet both up and down...ie could you comfortably use one to drive around town and shift manually??
what is the best brand/ model available at reasonable cost??

what other optios are there..is there such a thing as apattern shifter for an auto??

maybe not an H pattern but some other??
a pattern shifter seems to me would be the best as you would always know where you are at which i presume can be a problem with a ratchet...am i wrong??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've had my share of problems with ratchet type shifters. They've cost me a round or two in competition because they got out of adjustment and wouldn't shift. Spent the bucks and bought a Turbo Action Cheetah shifter, (gate type). Flawless shifter, never had a problem. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use a B&M QuickSilver on my 400. So far, so good. I love it. Ratchets both ways: 1,2,3 & 3,2,1. Never had a problem with it. Feels pretty solid too.IMHO....also, If I simply put it "drive" the tranny shifts normally by it self. hope this helps.

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 01-05-2000).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a reverse pattern valvebody in my TH400. I use the stock horseshoe shifter and modified the detents on the detent plate. First to second is straight back, second to third pick up on the detent bar and move it back. Looks stock, works great, and didn't cost a dime.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is a reverse pattern valve body ??
this sounds like this would work fine up shifting with a 3 speed tranny

does a gate shifter have specific positions that cant be "overrun"??
waht is source and cost and installation problems with this pattern shifter..

thanks guys!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
70 SS 454, the reverse shift pattern valve body (P R N 1 2 3 instead of P R N 3 2 1) allows you to manually shift the tranny away from the neutral gate during up shifts, its a nice safety feature to have when in the heat of a battle. With the shifter I mentioned in my 1st post, each forward drive gear is gated and cannot be overrun, its fool-proof, you will not miss a shift! This shifter is a little pricey, about $260 is what I paid through Summit, not real sure what their going for now. Its a quality piece and you get what you pay for when it comes to shifters, I got what I deserve for using inexpensive shifters. Installation is a breeze, just mount it in desired location, run cable through the floor pan and mount to tranny, adjust cable and your flying. BTW, this shifter has a few bells and whistles that are add-on options with most others, it has built in shift handle activation button for things like a line lock or N2O and it has a built in neutral safety switch. Hope this helps, Rob

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Hurst used to have a shifter called the "auto stick". It bolted to the trans and had a rod for the shift linkage. It had a big chrome arm like a 4sp shifter and can be used with a bench seat. My friend had one in his Chevelle and everyone would think it was a 4sp until they saw the brake pedal. It seemed to work pretty well but I don't know if it was as good as a cable operated shifter.

·
Registered
994 Posts
With a ratchet shifter the stick stays in the same position with the exception of park. I had a B&M Quick Silver (3 spd model) for 19yrs and it worked flawless. I recently installed a 4L60 automatic which requires the 4spd shifter. Therefore I had to buy a new shifter. I wanted a little change in appearance so I bought a B&M Hammer It is even better than the Quick Silver. They call this one a ratchet also, but the angle of the stick changes with the gear selection.
I manually shifted the B&M Quick Silver for 19yrs, so I'd say yes to your first question.
I think Lokar makes a patter shifter that bolts up to the tranny and nothing but the boot touches the tunnel, however you may not have enough room for this style since it's primarily made for the pre 40's HotRods.
One final note: Read the instructions! Adjustments are critical to the life of the shifter and tranny.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-07-2000).]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Rich, anything but the oem shifter is going to make your stock interior look un-stock. Why not just remove your console top & take a look inside? With a little time you could make a new detent pawl out of band metal, attach with 2 small bolts, that will allow you to shift to 2nd & block third until you squeeze the handle. Check it out. You can get by with the shifter as is but you need to be calm & careful upshifting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the B&M Star Shifter. Also a nice unit that can be used as a regular auto shifter, or as a 1 way ratchet. You can put it in drive and go, run it through 1,2,3 like a normal shifer, but more positive feel, or pull it all the way back to ratchet. I imagine it is much like the Hammer. The Star Shifter isn't that expensive last I saw.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a th400 with a manual shift valve body and the stock horse shoe shifter. After a few missed shifts at the track I took the console apart and added a few notches(welded them in)so I could hit all gears not hit neutral.Has worked great took a few hours to do and still looks stock

·
Registered
994 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>B&M Hammer It is even better than the Quick Silver. They call this one a ratchet also, but the angle of the stick changes with the gear selection.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.....angle of the stick is stationary just like the Quick Silver. Sorry for the misinfo

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-10-2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.