Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TC,

Is it worth my while to change the TH400 rear thrust washer from the select to a Torrington.
In my mind it seems to make logical sense to do so...provided the bearing doesn't fail. The Transmission will be behind a healthy Street 496 in a heavy car.
If yes, are there any special considerations I should be aware of when doing so?

Cheers and thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
You can put a 350TH pump Torrington bearing in place of the thrust washer. As always, check the clearance to be sure it is OK....

Steve O.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
While you have that transmission apart you might want to consider installing one of these if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
While you have that transmission apart you might want to consider installing one of these if you haven't already.
Excellent advise from Rob. Prolly a more important part. I've seen the planetary sets ruined on 4 wheel drives but the rear thrust ok. IDK if the friction savings could be measurable in horsepower gains....

We are talking the thrust washer at the case to planetary point, right?

Steve O.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, case to output (rear planetary).
Absolutely, the 34 element sprag is in the cart. It's a 1968 Trans, so it has the smooth inner race with the good outer gear.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes, case to output (rear planetary).
Absolutely, the 34 element sprag is in the cart. It's a 1968 Trans, so it has the smooth inner race with the good outer gear.
Yes the earlier ones had the roller clutch so don't have to replace the entire drum, just the sprag unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts