Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on draining and refilling the ATF in my TH400, and replacing the oil pan with a TCI aluminum pan.

Does anybody know the AC Delco part number for the filter and O-ring? So I don't have to deal with the parts counter at the dealer?

Also, any thoughts on using synthetic oil? The trans is the original box on a 70 SS 396 with 26000 on the odometer (probably 126000 miles). I don't know when the last time the fluid was changed or even if it has ever been changed.

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
A Delco filter should be available at any of the chain or otherwise parts stores. Very common item and no need to deal with the dealer.
As for synthetic fluid, do a search of this site (upper right corner of this screen) and you'll get a bushel basket of opinions-every one different.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Registered
17 Posts
I work on a fleet of Chevy trucks with TH400
and we use a Delco TF231 filter and gasket kit. They are very inexpensive and easy to use.----Richard

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,002 Posts
Freak, Like the man said, lots of opinions here but if it were mine I certainly wouldn't be making any changes to the type of fluid in a tranny that old. Also, the thing holds 11 or 12 quarts of fluid, you're only going to change about 4 of them dropping the pan and filter, what's your plan for the other 7 or 8 quarts?

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used one of those machines that replaces the fluid. It worked VERY slick. I don't know about the older trannys, but on the new ones, the "filter" is more like a screen, and so I didn't/don't worry about changing it.

>>>Rod<<<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.