Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with the TH400 in my 68 El Camino and since I don't have a clue I'm looking for ideas......With the tranny in PARK, the car will roll if on an incline. Also when the rear end is jacked up, in PARK you can turn the rear tires by hand. I have checked the shift cable, it seems OK, and the lever on the side of the tranny seems like it is as far forward as it will go for the park position. The tranny was supposedly rebuilt 3 years ago (I just bought the car in February) and has no more the a couple thousand miles since then. Fluid level is also OK. I would appreciate any ideas on what to look at next.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Is this a running car that you can verify the shifter position of?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the car is running and driving fine. I can shift through all the gears no problem, up and down, driving down the road. Could it have anything to do with the fact that I pulled the tranny pan and drained all the fluid, put on a new pan and dumped in new fluid? As I said, about all I know about tranny's is P-R-N-3-2-1.......LOL

·
Registered
225 Posts
NO ... Changing the fluid will not cuase you too lose PARK

Sounds like your parking pawl mechinism isn't engaging into your output shaft, when you shift to park.

Disconnect your external linkage, then by hand engage it into park - should lock your driveshaft.

If not, my guess would be your having internal problems with your parking pawl, not uncommon to shear if you slam it into park while rolling.

OR, when they rebuilt it, they may have not installed the mechinism properly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.