Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tightening up the foreward planetary float.

In building my first TH400, and having set output endplay, I'm now at the point of trying to tighten up the "Float" of the forward planetary as per this Sonnax article. Correctly assembled, all Torrington's correct, and using a 4 tab metal rear thrust washer between the planetaries, and a new bronze washer between the forward planetary and center... I'm seeing excessive play. I can't really dial indicate, but it seems quite sloppy. The next obvious step would be to shim under the 4 tab using a combination of Sonnax 34006 shims, or a thicker 4 tab, which neither I have on hand.

Sonnax 34006-05, .005 shim,

Guess what! I've found that 12 bolt carrier side shims will fit exactly between the 4 tabs of the metal rear thrust washer. While the shim doesn't encompass the entire surface area of the thrust washer, it gets most of it, while the I'd is smaller, it still doesn't interfere with the sun gear and it's made of a durable high carbon steel. I figure the shim should stay in place no trouble, as the thrust washer is tabbed anyway. Anyone who has done a 12 or 10 bolt rear end likely has a good assortment of these hanging around. I had a decent colletion of thicknesses from the last two rear ends I did. I just thought they might be of use someday!

Assortment,

Shim in the 4 tab,

In place,

Experts, do you think this is a viable alternative to the Sonnax shim or thicker 4 tab?

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Experts, do you think this is a viable alternative to the Sonnax shim or thicker 4 tab?"

What a dumb question. Who could ever know. And how many have done rear ends at home anyway. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Looks like it does exactly the same thing as the Sonnax shim does. I set up my own diffs and build my own turbo 400's.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Tightening up the foreward planetary float.

In building my first TH400, and having set output endplay, I'm now at the point of trying to tighten up the "Float" of the forward planetary as per this Sonnax article. Correctly assembled, all Torrington's correct, and using a 4 tab metal rear thrust washer between the planetaries, and a new bronze washer between the forward planetary and center... I'm seeing excessive play. I can't really dial indicate, but it seems quite sloppy. The next obvious step would be to shim under the 4 tab using a combination of Sonnax 34006 shims, or a thicker 4 tab, which neither I have on hand.

Sonnax 34006-05, .005 shim,

Guess what! I've found that 12 bolt carrier side shims will fit exactly between the 4 tabs of the metal rear thrust washer. While the shim doesn't encompass the entire surface area of the thrust washer, it gets most of it, while the I'd is smaller, it still doesn't interfere with the sun gear and it's made of a durable high carbon steel. I figure the shim should stay in place no trouble, as the thrust washer is tabbed anyway. Anyone who has done a 12 or 10 bolt rear end likely has a good assortment of these hanging around. I had a decent colletion of thicknesses from the last two rear ends I did. I just thought they might be of use someday!

Assortment,

Shim in the 4 tab,

In place,

Experts, do you think this is a viable alternative to the Sonnax shim or thicker 4 tab?

Cheers,
Mark

How did you make out with this? Did you use the 12bolt shim?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts