Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my th350 is due to be rebuilt but before I do this I would like to know if I may be wasting my time or money. I have a 383 stoker lunati 268 voodoo cam, 195 afr heads 64cc, approx 10.5:1 compression with long tube headers, posi rear 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. Everything has been upgraded but my trans, it does have a 2400 stall b&m hole shot torque converter. I like to drive this car like it's a race car but it will probably never see a drag strip, so if I do rebuild this trans will it be able to with stand a beating every time I drive the car or would I be better off with a different trans altogether. If I did swap the trans I think I would like the 200r4? Seeing as its practically the same size but has overdrive, I like the Art Carr ones. So with all that being said, rebuild or replace, your opinion. If I rebuild which kit would be the best? If I should replace what would you use?
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I have a couple of friends with TH350's in their street tire Wednesday night bracket cars. They run high-11's to mid-12's, 250-300 runs per year. The only one that had problems was when he went with someone that built transmissions as a side job in order to save money, which didn't work out so well. At this point in time they pull the transmissions every two years to have them freshened up. When it comes to the 200r4, a handful of friends tried running them with similar cars in the same classes. None of them kept the 200r4 for more than one season before switching to either a TH350 or TH400. I can't see how yours will see more stress on the street.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I bought the Ron Sessions book and a B&M master kit. Followed his instructions and stuck that unit behind a warmed over 454 in a 72 Chevelle with 3.55 gears that belongs to my brother in law. That was at least 10 years ago if not longer !

He drives that car all summer long every year, been to the track 25 times at least. It will run 12 teens all day.
Since I rebuilt it only thing he ever did was change fluid and filter 3 or 4 times.

I think you will be fine if built correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Ive always like the TH350, but if I had the chance, I'd go with an overdrive one, NOT the 200r4. TH350 is a good tranny, built it right like Ken and Steve said, and it will last a very long time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The TH350 is a good trans but...the OD is very nice. I had an Art Carr 200-4R with 3.73's and then 4.11's with virtually the same engine combo as you but a larger Voodoo roller cam. Never had an issue with it as my car is street only. I will say if you are going to run a 200, get one that is built and can handle the 383. Stock won't cut it. The good news is that it will fit right in where your 350 was with virtually no mods other than adding a TV cable, shift linkage and rerouting the cooler lines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the majority say build the th350, my trans guy is talking 900-1k for a complete overhaul to handle 650hp no converter and if I want a trans brake that's an extra 300. Which is cheaper than the 200r4 conversion.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Sounds like the majority say build the th350, my trans guy is talking 900-1k for a complete overhaul to handle 650hp no converter and if I want a trans brake that's an extra 300. Which is cheaper than the 200r4 conversion.
What's the draw of a trans brake for a car that will never see the track?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I run one and it can take the abuse if its built well

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trans brake for sweet launches at the red light lol, also if I ever came into a situation where I did need it I would like to have it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Puts the trans in reverse and drive at the same time, my understanding is that it's a switched option that is only on when I want it to be? Why would this hurt my street traction aside from when I would be trying to launch?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Puts the trans in reverse and drive at the same time, my understanding is that it's a switched option that is only on when I want it to be? Why would this hurt my street traction aside from when I would be trying to launch?
It will shock the drivetrain. It would be equivalent to sidestepping the clutch. Even if the work has been done at the track to dialed in the suspension it's not going to work well on a public street.

Steve R

·
Registered
820 Posts
reverse and 1st , you better think abought a better rear end and gears and axels. the street is no place for a trans break :beers:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so scratch the trans brake, the vibe I'm getting is this has no place for street application. I appreciate the input guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts