Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have the TCS and cowl industion wiring figured out now with help from some fellow members. Now I need helpfor the trans kick down. I am working on a 70 SS 396 with cowl induction hood and 400 auto trans with the electric down shift. I have the wiring harness for the cowl induction figured out where it attaches to the gas pedal switch. There are extra pigtails, is that where the auto trans kick down attaches to ? Is there a relay for the kickdown or does the wire just go straight to the trans ? What is the correct routing for the wiring ? Appreciate any help.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
ive been working on the same wiring and dont have answers... from what ive read there is supposed toi be a relay that feeds the cowl solenoid and possibly the tranny as well but im not sure...i would appreciate you posting your final wiring diagram when you get it down .... or email me thanks

if you will email me your address i will send you copies of some vague references i have in my "chevelle SS restoration guide" by Paul Herd...if you have the book check out pages 29,30 & 55

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
The pigtail that you are decribing is the power feed for the next option that runs off the Acc. port on the fuse box(another words if you had mutiple option on the car than these pigtail would be chained together in order to power them up). the kickdown for the 400 should be included with the engine harness. One of the prongs on the switch for the peddle is what relays the 12 volt signal to the 400 tranny.If you don't have the correct eng. harness than just run a wire from the pedal switch to the solenoid on the tranny

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
hey guys you lost me...where are these pigtails...

also where do the tranny wires and cowl solenoid lead connect to the harness

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 12-28-1999).]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Thanks for the info so far, the pigtails I was referring to are on the cowl induction harness where it attaches to the gas pedal switch. There are only two terminals on the gas pedal switch, one for power fron the fuse panel, the other to feed the relay on the firewall and on to the solenoid in the hood. The engine harness I have is complete except for the TCS and Trans kickdown wires, someone cut them out.

Rich, I have the Paul Herd book, still not real clear but thanks
Gary

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a 67' chevelle with the th400 using the electronic kickdown. when i got the wagon this was not hooked up. went to pick-a-part and found a 72' buick with the proper set-up for the tranny. i removed the gas pedal and all the wiring and linkage. there was no relay in the system. the swith used appeared to identical to the cowl induction switch. naturally the set-up would not work, not enough clearance to swap the pedal and switch bracket. i fabricated a bracket and mounted the switch on the manifold. the switch is self setting and designed to activate the seleniod on tranny just before w.o.t.. it is not the perfect solution but it works as designed. the wiring is simple run a wire from an acc. lug to the switch and a wire from the switch to the tranny. i use the carb linkage to trip the switch.
jtkirk (steve, #222)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.