Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chevelle had a 307 in it and I haven't had time to check the numbers on the block but I've seen alot of '70 Malibu's with 307s mated to a Powerglide. Thing is my tree says P-N-R-D-L2-L1 and I thought P-Glides only have P-N-R-D-L... Do I have a TH-350? Thanks....

------------------
IrateN8
Northern California
1970 Malibu Sport Coupe

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Move the shifter lever and feel it, if it's a powerglide, you;ll hit R, N, D, L. If it's a 350 you'll have an extra gear.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
irateN8
I would think that you have a th-350,but ya never know.if you can drive the car,the glide will shift 1 time,the th-350 will shift 2 times,the best way to do it in your case is(being I cant explane visually in a understanding matter)take off the linkage at the shift arm on the tranny,then see how many possitions it has.th 350 will have 6 the power glide will have 5.being you have a 6 possition gear selector, I would think you have a turbo 350.67rat member #199

·
Registered
336 Posts
Having had both transmisions the difference is obvious. The Glide with only 2 gears the shift is not that smooth, and you end up revving it out all the time to get power. The second gear in the TH350 really helps, can't miss it. The gear indicator just means it was a factory TH350 or even a TH400. The tranny pan is very different PG vs 350. But driving the car has to be obvious

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
740 Posts
Could be a powerglide but its obvious you will feel 2 shifts instead of 1 shift but i put in the cover plate for a TH350 when i was going to get one so mayby thats what the guy did.

I just blew it off

·
Registered
283 Posts
You might try crawling under the car with a flash light and looking for the word POWERGLIDE in 3/4" block lettering in the side of the case.
Harley

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Nate-
Along the lines of Harley's post, crawl under there, a PG has a square trans pan a TH350 square with a corner cut and a TH400 pan looks like Texas. If you can't visualize what I'm saying, pickup your favorite speed part catalog and look for shiny new chrome pans in there, it will have a pic of a PG, Th350, and Th400 pan and you can see what I mean!
Good Luck!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have driven both TH350 and powerglide. I'm pretty sure you have the TH 350 since I cannot imagine anyone not noticing the powerglide. However, the powerglide does have its advantages - it is extremely rugged and reliable, and when it does break, it is cheap to repair. That said, I'm glad my 65 Malibu has the 3 spd manual rather than the PG.

Stev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.