Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, another question, but I don't want to make any wrong moves at this point.

I have the shorty TH-350, thats going in.

Do you have to move the crossmember on a 65 Chevelle SS in order to make the change over?
Do you drill new holes to mount this, and if so how far back?
Do you have to cut the floor?

My mechanic has never done this change over and he says shiftworks has a rather large diameter black paper template that says to cut on the floor, doesn't seem right to me??

And what about mounting the replacement cable, it has a diaphram lookin end that seems to have to mount to something.

I told my mechanic that it was suppose to be an easy changeover, but..

Is there any pictures anywhere showing how to do this? I tried to contact shiftworks web page for fotos but they haven't gotten that far yet on their site.

I need the pictures to show the mechanic how this thing goes..because I sure as hell don't, and I don't want him guessing!

Thanks again.
Jack

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have done this on 2 65's, and there is no need to move the crossmember. It mounts in the same place as a powerglide would. The driveshaft should also be the same. The shiftworks stuff converts the stock shifter to a cable operated kind. One end of the cable connects to the shifter, then goes through the floor and loops to the Tranny. The hole that is to be cut in the floor should be rather small. I believe it was 1" in diameter (this is what the template is for). The hole is for the cable to pass through.

Tim

If you would like pictures of it installed, I can take pictures tommorow at work with a digital camera.

[This message has been edited by TimG (edited 10-05-99).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.