Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the windstar fan, and I have a painless wiring 200 on, 185 off fan switch. I wish I had done a little more searching before I bought it, but it may be too late (I saw some cheaper and possibly more durable ones mentioned in TC when searching).
On the TFS directions, it says: NOTE: With this fan relay you can operate a fan rated up to 30 amps or two fans as long as the total current draw for both is less than 30 amps.
It's my understand that the windstar units take 36-40 amps total.
Is this TFS just not up to the task for this application? Or is there a way I can get around this? I am going to run this by my friend who is an EE, but I want to have some ideas I can toss at him before I meet up.

Matt

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are the prongs on a bosh 75 amp relay in the same spot, like say an electrical plug thats normal, and one with one of those big converter blocks on them? It needs to plug into that block thing. I was thinking perhaps I could switch the 30 amp circuit breaker and 30 amp relay with 75 amp units. Or would the wires light on fire?

I'm just searching for answers in my head, this will be frustrating if I have to try and return it and whatnot.

Matt

[This message has been edited by MadMarv (edited 04-29-2002).]

·
Registered
834 Posts
You don't need to worry about how much current the TFS can handle, because your not going to use the TFS to switch the actual full current lead to the fans. You are just using the TFS to open/close the relays that actually connect power to the fans.

I don't know if that made sense or not
Basically, you have a 30 amp relay for each fan, you have the large guage + wire for each fan going through the 30 amp relays (or the - wire if you want, either way works).

Then you have a second smaller power lead coming to the relays to open/close the connection on the large guage wire to the fan. This smaller lead is the one that will be controlled by your TFS.

Oi i'm no good at explaining electrical stuff

To sum it up your just using the TFS to turn the relays on and off, so there's virtually no draw on it so it will work fine.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
For everything you do, this burnout's for you.
The Green Monster

[This message has been edited by Gandalf80 (edited 04-29-2002).]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kind of hoping that was the case. Thanks for the help.
Super Chevy (epping) is coming up, and for once in 2 years since I've been there, I'd like to have the 'velle in a functioning manner. Two years ago, the block cracked, last year the tranny died, and so on. Die in it, or die with it.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts