Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear window will not roll up. I don't know if it is the switch or not. Neither the front master switch nor the rear switch will make the window move. How can I test it with a battery to determine if the motor is good.

Do appreciate your help.

jc
----------------------------------------
70 Chevelle SS, 454,700R4
69 Grand Prix, 428,M40

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Unless they did something differently back then you should be able to disconnect motor connector and apply 12VTs and a ground to the 2 wires or ternminals off the motor. One way will roll up...reverse the leads and should go down. I test them with a 12vt Makita battery but any 12volt Dc source should work. IF this is not correct somebody will chime in..

·
Registered
846 Posts
Make sure when you do that the ground is ground to the frame NOT the other teminal. With the hot wire touch it to one of the terminals, it will move up/down, then move the hot to the other teminal it will go the other direction.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,806 Posts
Originally posted by 540cutlaSS:
Make sure when you do that the ground is ground to the frame NOT the other teminal. With the hot wire touch it to one of the terminals, it will move up/down, then move the hot to the other teminal it will go the other direction.
Is that how Chevelle motors work?

Every power window motor I've ever worked on (which ain't that many) you put 12 volt positive to one termnial and Negative ground to the other terminal and reverse the wires on the terminals to reverse the motor.
No ground connection to the motor case.

·
Registered
846 Posts
On these motors it is as I described above. On the later 80's models "pancake" motors it works by reversing the wires as you described.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all. Sure appreciate the information. Certainly glad I ran across this site. Man a person would have to buy and read a lots of books to get this much info.
Jc
-------------------------------
70 Chevelle SS 454,700R4
69 Pontiac GP SJ 428,M40

1 - 7 of 7 Posts