Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of used power window regulators (70-72 Chevelle), and wanted to know the safest way to test them, off the car...

I am assuming the motors are grounded though the chassis, with on wire being Hot-up and one being hot-down (I only recall two connectors on each)... Is the correct?

I figured I could just jump these with some wire and a car battery...

I just want to be safe, as I have heard stories about springs flying off (but I think that was when removing the motors from the regulators?)...

I have the wiring harness, but its disconected and the switches are missing...

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
I did testing with a 14v Cordless Drill battery. Not quite so much current available in case there's a problem. Also, make sure you have schematic for year and model. Nothing will bite you quicker than assuming something electrical!
Good luck.
-Bill

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of the power window motors that I've messed with were grounded, they had two terminals which were "+" and "-" to go up and "-" and "+" to go down.

Connect two wires for up and reverse the wires for down.

not that I've messed with very many but they were all like that
Thanks Dean...

Anyone confirm that?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The factory power window motors are grounded. + voltage to one terminal drives the window up, + voltage to the orher drives the window down.

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
I may be wrong. Up and Down is controlled by reversing the grounds.
P. to N. for a direction and N. to P. for a direction. If you take a window switch apart, It appears the switch is reversing the grounds for direction. Hey what do I know............................
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.