Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
I have a HP signal generator (yeah I'm a nerd) that I use to test tachs and other electronic junk. It duplicates the pulse train you'd get from a distributor trigger. Other than that, I don't know how you could test one. The signal generator route is an expensive proposition.

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-350hp
Frame-off Resto: Just Say No! 4 years and counting...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The signal generator is the best way, but if not- Got a distributor and coil hanging around? You will need a 12V battery, distributor, coil, plug wire, plug, drill and a few wires. You spin the distributor with the drill.
Hook up +12V to + side of coil and +12 terminal on tach. Ground wires from Neg battery terminal to distributor housing, spark plug base and - or gnd term on tach.
Spark plug wire or coil wire from coil to spark plug. Negative side of coil goes to tach teminal and points. Spin the dirstributor with the drill. Will only go up to 1k or so but at least you will know if it works at all or not.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Duh!
Good idea Steve.

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-350hp
Frame-off Resto: Just Say No! 4 years and counting...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I think I will round up the parts and try it with the trusty craftsman drill I received for Christmas. And actually its cool to be a nerd, but Geek is another story...

Thanks again,
LB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts