Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have all kinds of experts here and I need some advice.

I'm buying a house from my mother and I pulled some paneling out of a room (exterior wall) and the drywall showed termite damage. I pulled the drywall and I have some studs to replace, and one small area of live termites. What is the best course of treatment? I was thinking about fixing the studs, replacing the insulation and treating with Termidor. Is there any other things I should do? Is it absolutely necessary to call a professional? I would generally do that but I don't want to stick my mother with a huge bill. Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
In Hawaii termites are a problem, and we have our homw there "tented" on a 5 year interval by professionals. The tenting kills them all, costs $500, and we get a warrentee from the pest company.

If you find some, there are many you won't find, and they can seriously reduce the value of the property.

·
Registered
274 Posts
:) why you have termite's in the first place , is generally a damp or wet wall cavity , where these critter's luv to burrow , check for dampness or black spore's in the general area , & your bottom wood wall plate's , coming in from floor sheathing & floor joist's . i've worked in florida & belize where i have property - same problem , but worse . they luv the humidity & dampness . it make's the wood softer , you can spray year after year , but your not getting to the source , or root of the problem . if you have sandy area's around your foundation with no sod , cover it all up , & look for tunneling arond the outside of your rim joist & plate's , other are's , even if you have stucco or brick , the bottom edge's , perimeter of house . another big problem with these varmit's is ' you don't have enough ventilation in wall or roof cavity's . the air is stagnet , that is why you will see mould on inset wall to ceiling corner's . feel the inside wall's in other area's to see if their damp . hate to say it , but their generally in more than one area if their inside already . these little !!!!!!! can do alot of damage over time , & pest control are just luving it time & time again . also check your drilled wiring routes , where they get through the floor plate's . the big problem is ; you just don't know where the hell they are in the wall's cause naturally we can't see behind wall's . that's the part that !!!!! me off . on a job in panama city beach florida , we stripped the complete living room , & only found the carpenter ants going to town on the wood around the entire window , their was nothing left to the header . all in all , it;s up to you . strip one wall , all wall's , or call in pest control . but at least look at what is causing them to get in , - in the first place . hope this help's a bit . - tommy

·
Registered
684 Posts
Jeff,
You are going to have to call an exterminator for a quick response to rid the infestation and show termite protection to the lender. You will not be able to get the loan approved if the housing inspector finds termites.
Your Mom's house has a basement so you must have the ground treated around the outside of the house. The colony is in the soil and food source is the wood in the walls. Check the basement out under the infested area; it is possible they ate more than just a few 2x4s. Tap all the floor joists you can reach with a hammer to look for soft spots.
After you get it treated, go to Home Depot and get the Terminex termite stakes ($80 per kit I think). They have about 20 stakes in each kit and you place them at even interval around the house, and then check them each month for activity. I used them when I thought I saw termite tunnels around the gargage and the stakes confirmed it. The kit is designed to kill the colony before they enter the house.

Which room did you find the damage? Is that garden pond still there?
Call me, let me know if you need some help.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I live in Pa and have been in the pest business for 35 years I worked on the termite crew for 11 years and have been a sales rep for 24 years. The tent method is for drywood termites the type you have is called subterainian. The two proven methods are bait and a chemical barrior treatment. If you go with chemical make sure the company uses Termidor it is a great product and works well. If you go bait check companys references some install them but fail to monitor them making them useless. Get some quotes and get back to me. I would be glad to discuss them with you. I helped another member with his problem last week and he did make out better with his problem. Do not make a hasty decision your house will not fall down till you make a good choice

·
Registered
274 Posts
:thumbsup: for plenty of info , go to ; wikipedia , or termite control - university of kentucky . heading under - termites . these sites should educate you on ; formosan subterranean termites , swarmer's , ant's , & other's which should give you a route to persue .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.