Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Malibu. There is a short in the
temperature light circuit. The light stays on all of the time. How can I bypass the wiring tht goes through the steering column and ignition system? Can I just attach a wire to the temp sensor in the engine block and run it to the light in the dashboard?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Murraym:
I have a 70 Malibu. There is a short in the
temperature light circuit. The light stays on all of the time. How can I bypass the wiring tht goes through the steering column and ignition system? Can I just attach a wire to the temp sensor in the engine block and run it to the light in the dashboard?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I don't know about bypassing, that can be risky.

In these vehicles, the "HOT" lite is turned on by grounding the green wires that lead to it. It has +12 at all times (well when the key is in the ON/START/RUN positions to be exact)via the pink wire to it. When either the green wires (yes there are 2) "see" ground the light comes on.

One green wire runs thru the firewall connections to the driver's side head where the temp. sender is located at. I'd carefully do a visual to see if this wire is disconnected and floppying against metal parts or it has melted on the exhaust manifold. Also check to see if the sender "looks" reasonable good from the outside, while not too common, I suppose it could short out internally.

The other green wire goes to your ignition switch. Everytime you crank the engine via the key, the ignition switch has a built in circuit that makes the other green wire to the light "see" ground. This was done as a circuit check to make sure the bulb wasn't burned out to alert the driver BEFORE the engine would over heat. If the other things check out and there is no "jury rigging" under the dash or chaffed wires leading to or under the hood, maybe you have ignition circuit trouble resulting in more investigation.

First step is check under the hood, and pull off the sender wire to see if the light goes out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts