Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp light stays on all of the time, even when disconnected from the temp sensor in the block. Therefore there is a short in the ignition in the steering column. Is there a way to bypass the ignition system and set the temp light up some other way?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Maybe the sender is bad. The part is not expensive and available at most good parts stores, so it's worth a try. If that's the problem, you could save yourself a lot of rooting around.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
don't know what make & model of car you're talking about but sounds to me like there is a short in the wire that connects to the temp sending unit, not in the ignition

tedixon If the gauge reads high with the wire disconnected from the sending unit then the problem wouldn't be in it

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Does help to know make and model but just a guess.
On an idiot light car, the green temp sender wires go to the ignition switch. These get grounded as you start the car. Posibility that it may be a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is a 70 Malibu. What is a sender and where is it? You don't mean the sensor in the engine block, do you?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tedixon:

Maybe the sender is bad. The part is not expensive and available at most good parts stores, so it's worth a try. If that's the problem, you could save yourself a lot of rooting around.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car is a 70 Malibu convertible. I am the original owner.
I tend to agree with you. Is there a way to get around this switch and wire up the temp light without going through the ignition switch?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Does help to know make and model but just a guess.
On an idiot light car, the green temp sender wires go to the ignition switch. These get grounded as you start the car. Posibility that it may be a bad ignition switch.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If it is an ignition switch problem, why not change it? You don't have to change the key switch, just the ignition switch on the top of the column. They are around $12.00 at the chain auto stores.
May want to check things out first by disconnecting the green wires off both the sensor and the ignition switch and taking some measurements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts