Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we rebuilt the motor in our "69"chevelle this winter I also replaced the sending unit. With the new sending unit, the factory gauge reads 3/4 towards the hot when at full operating temp. With the old sending unit, the gauge always read 1/2 when at full operating temp. I have checked the the water temp with a mercury thermometer and it reads 192 degress, which seems to be about optimal to me. Does any one know if there is a way to add a resister or maybe change the sending unit to get the factory gauge to work correctly?

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
Crankitup,

Just did the same thing w/my 69. Used to read around 1/2, now reads hot. This burns me up (pun intended). The unit I used was an AC DELCO from NPD. I went to Autozone, and they have a replacment, but the connection was like a spade(?) rather than the little round nub. I don't wanna cut my factory wire to try the new one.

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
BTW, does your car use the "slotted" connector? Mine does.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I had the same xact problem,,, bought a sender from the Clock Doc,,, problem cured, I think it was an electric limited, but not 100% positive, Clock Doc stocks them,,

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
Nick,

Is there a website for the clock Doc?

·
Registered
13,788 Posts
I found it thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colby, Vince, and Nick, I found good information from your suggestions. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just searching the archives for some more information and came across this topic....I am having similar issues.

The correct sender is a button type but I am not sure what the proper connector is on the wiring harness?

Anyone have a picture?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Here's a pic showing the temp senderwith a connector attached, a 2nd connector and the wire terminal used in the connector. This is correct for your 65, if that's what your working on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

Not sure what I would do with out this site

1 - 11 of 11 Posts