Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to use the orginal idiot light sending unit with an aftermarket water temp gauge? The engine is in my wife's all original 69 Impala convertible. With A/C and power steering it is a bear to get to, and the plug on the passenger head isn't coming out after 33 years. Just don't feel safe having her driving in FL without a temp gauge. Any ideas, I spent hours trying to get that other plug and sending unit out.
Thanks,
Pat
70 SS396
69 Impala Convertible
99 WS6

·
Registered
886 Posts
At the risk of irritating folks such as jester(see "is it just me" thread), my OPINION is that the idiot light sender and that needed for an aftermarket gauge are not compatible. By far, the best solution is to remove the right side head plug, whatever it takes, and use that for the correct sending unit for your aftermarket gauge whether it is electrical or mechanical.
Keep in mind that I've only added aftermarket gauges to 2-3 dozen small block motors, so I may not know what the hell I'm talking about. If that disclaimer doesn't satisfy "jester", I give up.

------------------

58 Impala & 96 Imp SS
67 Elco
72 Monte Carlo
78 Vette
92 Camaro

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I have no idea either. But me thinks the idiots light sender is a switch. Me thinks that the gage sender is a variable resistor. They are not the same.
Pat
I fight them out too. My grandad's breaker bar with extensions usually does it. Soak them the best you can with WD-40 and pray as you lay on the bar.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I dunno vettefella you look pretty rookie like to me. Jester gonna flame ya I bet!
I agree with both of ya. Go for the passenger side. I had to go out and look at mine just to see what I would be up against if I were to want to do the same thing. The plug in my car is a hex head plug as close as I can see. I would probably give it a bit of heat before I attempted to take it out. If I could "swell" it a bit and crush the debris in the threads before I tried to remove it I think I would have a good chance of success. I have done that in the past with sticky bolts and it really works well. Of course I have a torch to do it with so that makes it easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so maybe I give it another shot. The standard 3/8" handle with a little pipe for an extenion just isn't cutting it. The square hole is not as sqaure as it was for it's first 33 years. Need to get an adaptor for 1/2" so I can use a big breaker bar. And then a friend to steady it from the top while I yank it from under the car. The tools will cost more than the gauge! Need a bigger bar anyway.
Will try and heat it an cool it, first. But from the looks of that hole, I am not sure its coming out.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
You can get a water neck (thermostat housing) that has a ¾” female pipe thread connection. They were used on 80s engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.