Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently converted my '71 Malibu to an SS. This project included swaping out the dash with a new SS dash with all gauges, SS dash wire harness, forward lamp wire harness for guages, and temp switch(not TCS sending unit). I was told that the dark green wire from the temp gauge and the dark green wire from the TCS relay both connect to the temp switch. The problem I'm having is that when the green wire from the TCS relay connects to the temp switch, it causes the temp guage to read 210 degrees even when the engine is cold. When I connect a volt meter to the TCS relay green wire, it reports 7 volts.
Any suggestions? Are the green wires wired correctly? Do I have to use the TCS sending unit instead of the temp switch? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Did you get a temp sender unit for a gage and not a temp sender switch for an idiot light? Most TCS systems don't work or don't work well.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The sweep dash or SS light dash has a temp switch that turns on the TEMP light. That switch has a second switch that is used for the TCS circuit. The TEMP light is a dark green wire the TCS is dark green with a white stripe. The gauge dash has a temp sender that is used for the temp gauge only. If you follow the dkgreen/white wire it has an L ( l _ ) shaped connector that mates with a connector, with a dkgreen wire, that is part of the engine harness. If you are not using the TCS leave that wire disconnected. If you are using the TCS that wire, green wire with L shaped connector, connects to the temp switch that you removed from the left ,driver side, head after you install it in the same location on the right side head.

So the new temp sender gets only one green wire from the temp gauge. If you want to use the TCS you install the old temp switch in the right side head and connect the TCS circuit green wire to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not able to find the green wire with the white stripe or the L shaped connector. I did however find them on the old harness. They were not in use when I removed the old hardness. There is an after market temp guage under the dash, the original temp switch must have been replaced when that was installed. When I replaced the forward lamp harness, the engine doesn't idle very well until it's warmed up. What controls the cold start switch/electric choke?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Unless someone has replaced the carb with a modern style, there is no electric choke. Original choke is that rod going down to the manifold on the passenger side of the carb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts