Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new temp guage. New 180 degree thurmastat, and new sending unit. When I started car temp guage went to first line past 210. Thinking connection was bad since I have the 180 thurm. I disconnected sending unit wire and reconnected while car running. Now the guage pegs past 250. If I shut car off and restart, guage goes to 250 then back to about 180 then slowly back to past 250. Any ideas on what's wrong. I had to put a new female end on sending unit wire. I didn't have any factory ends so I used a 14 guage end I had in garage. It looks like its aluminum. Should it be copper or brass. I also put just the bare wire on sending unit but same problem exists. Sorry for length trying to be a detailed as I can. Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I went away for the weekend. the guage goes to far left 100 degrees when key is turned to on position and car is cold.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
May want to check the resistor on the back of the meter. May be loose, cracked or open. Also the wire to the sender should be stranded copper wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts