Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 has a faulty temp gauge. It dose not light up when the key is turned to on. I checked the voltage and found it just below 12v. I attached aligator clips to the socket and then to the bulb, it didn't work. The bulb socket has 2 wires and the sending unit only have 1 wire. what could be the problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check the bulb. If it is ok look at your ignition switch there should be a dark green it powers the light. The other wire black w/ pink stripe is the same wire that powers all other lights so if your oil/gen and other lights work this is more than likely o.k. but if all else fails you may need to look into the harness where it is spliced to make sure it is still intact. I hope this is of some help I ran into this problem a few years ago and it was just a bad bulb....One other thing with the key on ground the temp wire to the block the light should come on if it does replace the sender.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The temp idiot light gets tested every time you start the car. As you turn the key towards START the green wire from the bulb is shorted to ground through the key switch. Check the bulb as mentioned above. That’s usually the problem. If everything there looks good:
1, With the key turned to ON, disconnect the dark green wire from the sender in the block. Short the dark green wire to a good ground. That should make the light come on. If it does replace the wire on the sender and perform #2. If it doesn’t problem is still around the light bulb.
2, Use a temporary jumper and short the rear metal body of the ignition switch to ground. The ignition switch body must be grounded to make the light come on in test mode. Turn the key past ON and towards START. The light should come on. If it does the switch body isn’t grounded. If it doesn’t the switch is bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts